Need new Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AODWITT

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been making mead for a few years now and thanks to some of you I have done a variety from ancient orange to viking's blood to most of my local berries. Does any one have any new, fun, or exciting recipes they what to share?

Have you tried a t'ej? I boil the enchet (gesho twigs) in water for 30 minutes and use that water to dissolve the honey. (4 oz of enchet, 3 lbs honey, 1 gallon spring water). Rack the t'ej off the gesho after about 2 weeks. Ferment dry and then stabilize and back sweeten. Orange blossom honey makes a delightful t'ej but then so does clover or wild flower. You can also add fruit to the secondary, if you wish: I have read Ethiopian cookbooks that refer to coffee flavored t'ej, plum, orange and banana t'ej... So all authentic Ethiopian recipes. (My process of boiling the gesho before I add it to the must is NOT traditional, but then I am using lab cultured yeast to ferment the mead and not the raw honey and the twigs...

Have you tried a t'ej? I boil the enchet (gesho twigs) in water for 30 minutes and use that water to dissolve the honey. (4 oz of enchet, 3 lbs honey, 1 gallon spring water). Rack the t'ej off the gesho after about 2 weeks. Ferment dry and then stabilize and back sweeten. Orange blossom honey makes a delightful t'ej but then so does clover or wild flower. You can also add fruit to the secondary, if you wish: I have read Ethiopian cookbooks that refer to coffee flavored t'ej, plum, orange and banana t'ej... So all authentic Ethiopian recipes. (My process of boiling the gesho before I add it to the must is NOT traditional, but then I am using lab cultured yeast to ferment the mead and not the raw honey and the twigs...
I can vouch for Tej being very tasty, especially when paired with Orange Blossom honey. 😋😋

Back