Need New Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A03521FB-2B4B-465B-9A58-596F83BD167E.jpeg

This MM-3 is one of the very early models when Fred started. It has the 1/2” shaft and stainless rolls. I went the cheap route and used an old Skill drill. The router speed controller works great to slow it down. I’ve found that the roller sticking came from having my base too tight. The rollers need just the slightest ability to move. I just leave the mounting bolts finger tight, solved my locking issue. I do wish they were in bearings instead of bushings. I can’t imagine having a mill work any better than this mill. I’m guessing it has had 3,500 pounds through it. I think the gap is set at .032

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve found that the roller sticking came from having my base too tight. The rollers need just the slightest ability to move. I just leave the mounting bolts finger tight, solved my locking issue.
I need to keep this in mind next time I use my mill. I normally tighten the roller cover (I'm not writing about the gap setting screws) with a tool. Maybe I am making too tight?

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve found that even though the mounting bolts were square, they somehow made it bind. I think that slight play in the end caps let the rollers roll free. I tried food grade lubricant, air hose blowing it clean, and the bottom roll would still lock. I reach under and check it before I start it. I’ve not had an issue since. The newer models may have different bushings now. Like I said, mine is way back in the infancy of Monster.

mbg

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Mighty Mill 3. Like you, my old Barley Crushed has seen better days. Being a penny shy for the $30 discount, I ordered a cheap item to put me over the top (needed it anyway). I hope the mid August date is accurate.
Ha - we're in the same club. I ordered a pound of rice hulls. I currently have my BC mounted to a board and driven by a reversible gear motor through a Lovejoy coupling. Will need some mods to reuse this motor or maybe just use a drill?

Tobor_8thMan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve found that even though the mounting bolts were square, they somehow made it bind. I think that slight play in the end caps let the rollers roll free. I tried food grade lubricant, air hose blowing it clean, and the bottom roll would still lock. I reach under and check it before I start it. I’ve not had an issue since. The newer models may have different bushings now. Like I said, mine is way back in the infancy of Monster.
Thanks for the input. Definitely, something I will keep in mind/try next milling.

Gusso

Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the Mighty Mill 3. Like you, my old Barley Crushed has seen better days. Being a penny shy for the $30 discount, I ordered a cheap item to put me over the top (needed it anyway). I hope the mid August date is accurate.
It shipped today. Should have it shortly.

BFD_BrewGeek

Reaction score
DIY drive coupling with 24VDV, 300 RPM geared bicycle motor, operated at 150 RPM with speed controller. Very good, slow and steady crush.

Last edited:

Gusso

Reaction score
Nice! Above my pay grade for set up. I just used mine out of the box for a couple of grinds and it works great.