Need New Auto Syphon with Bottling Wand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrmc23

Reaction score
I bought my first home brewing kit over the summer from Northern Brewer, and I've had a lot of problems with the syphoning equipment they supplied and I'm looking to upgrade. Does anyone have a system they could recommend?

What was supplied? Most brewers use a standard auto siphon, but sometimes the tubing doesn't fit over it tight enough. I use two cable ties to snug it up.

I just use a racking cane and tubing, no auto siphon. I put the end of the tube in my hand and make a fist around it, and suck on it to make the beer flow. With the tube being in my fist, my lips don't touch it, so no chance of contamination.

Never used an auto-siphon, so really can't comment on the pros or cons of them.

I just use a racking cane and tubing, no auto siphon. I put the end of the tube in my hand and make a fist around it, and suck on it to make the beer flow. With the tube being in my fist, my lips don't touch it, so no chance of contamination.
Oh, I like that method! It never occured to me.

I sometimes put a short piece of somewhat larger or smaller diameter vinyl tubing over or into the racking tubing, suck on that until it flows, then remove that short piece of "mouth tubing." The other end should also remain sanitized that way.

But most often, I submerge the vinyl tubing under Starsan, plug up one end, connect the other end to the Stainless racking cane and suspend the cane in the fermentor (using a bucket clip). I then remove the plug and let the Starsan run out until it's all beer that comes out before transferring to the other vessel (bottling bucket, keg, etc.). Sanitized hands.

The 2 tubes that make up auto siphons should be stored taken apart (separated) to prevent the rubber seal on the bottom of the inner cane from deforming. Any gap there will prevent or break the siphon or start sucking air.

Back