Need Motivation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Since I have no life coach which seems to be popular these days i am turning to you my fellow HBtalkers for motivation.

I have Grain (plenty of it)

I have hops (even some fresh ones from my back yard)

I have yeast ( Irish Ale tube and a smack of German Ale)

For some reason when i plan to brew, like last sunday, i wake up, drink some coffee watch some TV then before i know it, it is 2 in the afternoon and to late by my standards to start brewing.

What is the deal?! i love brewing i just can not find the motivation. Perhpas it is the 5 full kegs and the knowledge that i have beer ready to drink that is stopping me.

Help!

I have a corrective plan of action:

Send your kegs out to some HBT'ers (like me, for example), then you'll HAVE to brew. :D

Seriously, I don't brew because I "need" beer. I brew because I love brewing. I have tons of beer, enough to last me through the winter...but I still brewed 15 gallons last week. If you're bored with the process, then you need to challenge yourself. Last weekend, I did my first decoction mash, and it was like doing my first AG all over again. Or challenge yourself with a difficult brew. Berliner Weisse? Geuze? I recently tried a few difficult ones, like the Mpehistopheles Stout, and the Rochefort 10 clone.

When you can't find the motivation, you need to mix it up. Challenge yourself.

I say don't worry about it. If you don't get around to brewing then its no big deal. Eventually your kegs will be empty and you'll feel the urge again. Until then, do something else.

Brett, that could be the problem. I used to love to brew because my brother would drop by and we would have a grand time. he now lives in Ohio and getting his orthodontist degree (already a dentist).

Brewing is alot more fun for me when there is someone there to B.S. with during the 6 hour brew day! My wife wants nothing to do with brewing and my daughters attention span is that of a gnat (she is only 5).

Concider this your invite anytime to join me.

I got a buddy who lives in Lincoln, let me know when you are brewing & I will have him come over and "motivate" you Boot Camp style, if that will help, plus i am sure that he would like to come drink your beer :)

Cheers

I go through phases like that, usually last a month or two, then I phase back in and brew like mad for a few months. I say just wait it out, if you're not really in the mood to brew don't force it, then it won't be fun, and isn't that what having a hobby is all about?

I am of 2 minds. Having plenty of beer is great because batches have time to mellow nicely while you drink something else.
You could make a starter the night before. It takes no effort, and the next morning you will be curious about activity and you won't want to let it go another week.

On the other hand, it is all for fun. There should be a natural flow of supply and demand. You aren't depressed are you? That can rob you of motivation.

I wish I lived closer. Cheers!

OK, i think after smacking my german ale yeast pack last night and watching it swell i have become motivated.

Perhaps i should just do this all of the time.

will make a starter with it tonight and brew tomorrow.

Anyone in the area interested in joining me for some beer and brewing let me know.

ITS ON!

It's the heat, I swear. Seems like everyone took a big chunk of the summer off. Recently, I've been wanting to brew, but something seems to come up every weekend that gets in the way. I'm going to try again this weekend, the wife told me last night "You need to brew, you haven't in a long time and I know it makes you happy."

I love my wife... :D

the_bird said:
It's the heat, I swear.

thats exactly my problem. I wake up early each Saturday and walk outside to start brewing. It's already in the 90s and its only 9 or 10 am. Its just hard to find the motivation to work in this heat, not to mention trying to cool with the ground water as warm as it is too.

Not to mention the fact that I would be fermenting too high anyways.The wife doesnt like me using our house's AC as my fermentation control anymore.

Once the temps drop Ill be back in full swing Im sure

I hear you. Haven't brewed since April and business has been draining my energy. I have finally finished the new kegger (except for gas leaks) and the clouds are rolling in. Have to brew on Michealmas (17 Sept.), so I'll be cleaning gear this weekend.

the_bird said:
It's the heat, I swear. Seems like everyone took a big chunk of the summer off. Recently, I've been wanting to brew, but something seems to come up every weekend that gets in the way. I'm going to try again this weekend, the wife told me last night "You need to brew, you haven't in a long time and I know it makes you happy."

I love my wife... :D

I"d hope so!!!!! Forget the heat, where did you find that wife?????????????

Mine is great, but she comes up with most of the reasons that I put off brewing for.

Back