Need....More....Attenuation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishinDave07

Reaction score
I made a variation of JOAM using strawberries instead of oranges. (isnt this stuff 'technically' Melomel?)

Pretty much the crappy bread yeast left it Ridiculously sweet.

What would be my best bet:

Pitch some dry champagne yeast

Pitch some dry mead yeast

Pitch some ________

Thanks people

Champagne yeast is kind of the Terminator of yeasts.

If you do want to pitch more of it, I think it's best (and this is just a theory) to rack it into a new container before adding the new yeast.

The basis for my theory is a little footnote in Papazian's book where he talks about how yeast in the presence of other, dormant yeast, will sometime just give up without even trying and nobody knows why.

What is your gravity?

you can use EC-1118 or Premiere Cuvee. Both will bail you out, just hydrate and pitch.
I'd say to give it 6 months before you decide that it is then too dry.
Mead has a way of tasting sweeter than it is.

OH my CraP!

Re-pitch with some re hydrated Premiere Cuvee.

You're going to be Christmas 2009 with this one! 20%?
Hope you've got something else in the works for between now and then.

OH my CraP!

Re-pitch with some re hydrated Premiere Cuvee.

You're going to be Christmas 2009 with this one! 20%?
Hope you've got something else in the works for between now and then.

Yeah, lol. I told ya it was too sweet! This is my first whack at mead so i think i'll fare fine drinking my homebrew while i wait. :)

I think we have a new winner for highest OG on a mead ;)

EC-1118 is good for restarting fermentation. it goes dry, but not as dry as champagne yeast,k and you can always backsweeten later.

my two cents...

You should be able to pitch on top of the old yeast. I had a strawberry mead that stopped at 1.060 from 1.090 after a couple of weeks. I tossed in a packet of dry champagne yeast, it took it down to 1.001 in a week.

I think we have a new winner for highest OG on a mead

^^
Beats my highest of 1.157 and I used 21lbs of honey in that one

On Gotmead they recommend using only lavlin and other quality wine yeasts. Rehydrate said lavlin using GoFerm and use Fermaid K as yeast nutrient.

Meads are notoriously slow fermenters as many aspects of fermentation management are ignored... search the gotmead fora for staggered nutrient additions.

If I were you, I'd rehydrate some lavlin wine yeast and add nutrients at various stages during the fermentation - the staggered nutrient additions. Your mead should ferment out dry unless you stop fermentation at 1.020 or so to produce a sweet mead.

Back