Need kegging help please.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
I'm about to keg a IPA from the secondary. There is still a decent amount of trub including the 1oz of hop pellets that made its way to the bottom. It's been 2 weeks since the dry hopping.

I'm wondering if I should put a muslin bag over the tip of the racking cane or the end of the hose that goes in the keg. Or both? Thanks for the help guys!

I don't strain when I keg...don't end up getting much in the keg and even when I do...the first beer has all the trub in it.

I'm about to keg a IPA from the secondary. There is still a decent amount of trub including the 1oz of hop pellets that made its way to the bottom. It's been 2 weeks since the dry hopping.

I'm wondering if I should put a muslin bag over the tip of the racking cane or the end of the hose that goes in the keg. Or both? Thanks for the help guys!

Sanitize a bag and place it over the hose. It will save you a lot of heartache. Leave it kinda loose. A wire tie works well.

I have better luck putting a long straining bag over the outlet. I noticed that my smaller auto siphon has trouble with hops sometimes so I bought a 1/2" auto siphon.

Tie the sanitized mesh bag over the racking cane tip. And don't splash the beer going into the keg. Keep the end of the hose under the beer level.

IslandLizard said:
Tie the sanitized mesh bag over the racking cane tip. And don't splash the beer going into the keg. Keep the end of the hose under the beer level.

+1
5 gallon paint strainer bags are perfect and cheap

Thanks so much for the help guys!! I normally just rack it without any bag but this brew had 4ozs during the boil and 1oz during the secondary. So none of my brews have ever had this much trub. I'll probably just sacrifice a little more brew than usual while racking and take notes for next time. Thanks again guys!!

TacomaHomeBrew said:
Thanks so much for the help guys!! I normally just rack it without any bag but this brew had 4ozs during the boil and 1oz during the secondary. So none of my brews have ever had this much trub. I'll probably just sacrifice a little more brew than usual while racking and take notes for next time. Thanks again guys!!

Seriously!! Don't sacrifice it, mesh bag it, heck I've used two bags before. Please don't sacrifice it !!! :)

As the others suggest use the bag over your racking cane.

I've dry hopped in the keg a couple times and had good results. I used a hop bag and put some sanitized marbles in it to keep it down. the bag still floated with an oz of pellet hops and 4 marbles.

Latest posts

Back