Need input on my cupboard-cleaning extract D-IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
Happy Spring! I've laid off the brewing for quite some time, but still enjoying our country's finest canned and bottled offerings. I have some ingredients that I am trying to cobble together for an IPA with a citrus lean on it to enjoy in the early summer, and I just might add some orange zest to compliment that. I’d like feedback on how to tweak the recipe. Disclaimer, I am a huge hophead, but I don’t want to make this too complicated. I’m trying to use up what I have in inventory, but I can get additional hops if needed.

I usually do BIAB, but I got my hands on some dry and liquid extract, which takes me back to the good old days. Haven’t done a full extract brew for so long I can’t remember.
Here’s the list:
3.3 lbs of Briess light Munich liquid extract
6 lbs Muntons dry light extract
I have a lb of 40L crystal malt
Some leftover carapils, maybe 6 oz

I have several new refrigerated S-05 yeast packettes, so good there.
I have an ounce of Cascade pellets (plus 1 oz some frozen leaf/cones)
3 oz of Citra pellets.
1 oz Amarillo pellets.

When I plug this into BrewTarget, with a 4.0 gallon boil, 5 gallon batch target size, 60 minutes, and using the 1.5 oz of Citra and 1 oz Cascade for the full boil, I get an IBU of 68, ABV of 7.9%, OG of 1.081, and an FG of 1.020, color at 13.1.
I can to get my hands on some additional hops for dry hopping, but would like some input on how much.
The FG and ABV seem high, what do you think? This is technically a DIPA.
I’ve done zest before with success, I think I'll decide on that later.
I’d like input on how you would add the late hops for maximum flavor and aroma.
Cheers!

I'd refrain from using all that Crystal and CaraPils almost entirely, just because you are already using extract and you are going to have to deal with the unfermentable sugars already present. Maybe a little of the C40 for color, but not much.

If you are thinking about getting a little bit more hops, grab a little bit of Warrior or CTZ or something high-AA% for bittering and save what you have on-hand for late/whirlpool/dry hop additions as those are all great flavor hops that play well together.

Thanks. When I plug this into Brewtarget, I am getting into the DIPA range of over 7% ABV. I'm playing around with the fermenting size to adjust that ABV, I might be able to go up to 5.75 gallons, and hope to bucket/bottle 5.25 gallons.

As for hops, I would love some feedback on the hops schedule you all would recommend for flavor and aroma, whirlpool, and dry hop. I'm going for a Citrusy leaning DIPA, and I'm considering adding some orange zest. All of the hops I have in the fridge are supposed to have some citrus aromas to them. I am a big fan of West Coast IPAs, so a big hoppy slap in the face is fine with me.

I have on hand:
1 oz of Cascade pellets 6.9%.
3 oz of Citra pellets 12.8%
1 oz Amarillo pellets 8.4%
2 oz of Falconers flight blend pellets 9.5%.
1 oz of Galaxy pellets14.5%

Cheers!

Back