Need input for amber ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking for doing something a but different from my standard amber ale and I would like some input on the pairing of hops since I have several small bags opened that I want to use up. Anyone have suggestions on which of the hops I have below would make a good pair for a winter amber ale?

4 lbs maris otter
4 lbs munich
2 lbs 2 row
8 oz crystal 60L
4 oz midnight wheat

Bittering hops: cluster, magnum, cascade
Aroma hops: cascade, tettnang, crystal

thanks

I am really liking crystal lately in milder pale ales and the like and think it will go well here. ITs supposed to be noble-sh, but it does have some citrus and a nice floral note. Its mild, but its still present. I think a heavy hand of that would be nice in an amber ale. It would pair well with tettnang if you want it to be more laid back and herbal spicy. Or cascade, but id use more crystal than cascade otherwise it might just taste like cascade.

You can never go wrong with magnum as a bittering hop. Its not like an amber ale should be harshly bitter (though some nw reds certainly are, they arent my thing)

Back