need ideas Honey Pale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78kombi

Reaction score
I made a Honey Pale
all extract, 3lbs light DME and 2 lbs honey(im thinking 2 was too many)
and some hops, anyhow..I used safale 04 dry ale yeast and i did hit my target 4.5% but the final gravity is 1.030 and its got way too much body and honey flavor/sweetness. i really didnt want to make a high octane beer. but id like to lose another 10-15 points ,so how can i drop the body and sweetness without boosting the alcohol?
Amylase? or should i just suck it up and re-pitch?
Suggestions? Joe

I think more people would be able to help you out with some more information. How long has this been fermenting, when did you add the honey, what was the OG, what are the fermentation conditions, anything unusual happen? Listing out this information would make it easier for people to see what problem you are truly having.

Ed

I made something very similar last year but I used 4 lbs of honey and Safale 05 and mine turned out dry and tasty. I didn't use a starter and simply sprinkled the yeast on top. Don't know why yours stopped at 1.030. Although I didn't check my final gravity, it turned out very dry without even a hint of sweetness.

Honey Pale Ale Braggot

I don't understand where you're getting 4.5% from with a finishing gravity of .030 with just 5lbs. of fermentables.

I think more people would be able to help you out with some more information. How long has this been fermenting, when did you add the honey, what was the OG, what are the fermentation conditions, anything unusual happen? Listing out this information would make it easier for people to see what problem you are truly having.

Ed

it had fermented for 72 hrs and there had been no activity.so i went to the secondary and when i got to the bottom of the bucket there was no yeast cake.so i figured it was not finished , just moving really slow.basically the recipe is just made up by me.
3lbs DME,2lbs honey ,1.5 oz hallertau
3 us gal to boil add all fermentables and one oz hops for 45min
at 15min add .5 hops...thats it
the OG in the boil was 1.083
i think it just got a little cool for the yeast , i went back to the store and learned that the safale 04 likes 68+ Fahrenheit to ferment, i used the yeast nutrient and slid it over near the heater vent on the floor, so its moving nice now.

If you have a 5 gallon batch, the OG is not 1.083. That might have been the OG of the boiled wort, but I assume you topped off with water to bring you to five gallons? If you did a 5 gallon batch, the OG is about 1.040. If you did a 2.5 gallon batch, the OG would be about right at 1.083.

What size batch did you do? It seems like you ended up with 2.5 gallons?

If you've done a 2.5 gallon batch, you can try adding some more dry yeast (try s05 or Nottingham) to try to finish it up. Actually, you can try adding some fresh yeast to it if it's a 5 gallon batch, too, because it should be much lower than 1.030.

If you have a 5 gallon batch, the OG is not 1.083. That might have been the OG of the boiled wort, but I assume you topped off with water to bring you to five gallons? If you did a 5 gallon batch, the OG is about 1.040. If you did a 2.5 gallon batch, the OG would be about right at 1.083.

What size batch did you do? It seems like you ended up with 2.5 gallons?

If you've done a 2.5 gallon batch, you can try adding some more dry yeast (try s05 or Nottingham) to try to finish it up. Actually, you can try adding some fresh yeast to it if it's a 5 gallon batch, too, because it should be much lower than 1.030.

yes you are correct! that was the ( or there abouts , i added a few points for temp adjustment) gravity for the wort..anyhow i was told i needed to temp safale 04 at 68 Fahrenheit and i was low, ( 64) since its winter here in central Massachusetts its too costly to keep the heat at 70 just to make good beer..sorry for the confusion.im still learning..
Joe BLAM!

follow up.
this beer was terrible..i mean . i didnt like it, i had friends that were impressed and liked it, but it was bland , boring tasted like miller highlife/coors light.
i gave most of it away just to clear the bottles...no real taste to speak of.
had a faint scent like white wine. guess thats what happens when i brew to please the lil woman.

Back