Need Ideas for Serving Real Ale out of a Pin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
I'd like to get into real ale and serve it out of a pin at the correct temperature.

I'm either not applying myself or I don’t have enough friends but I can’t go through a pin in 2 to 3 days so I’ll need a cask rebreather. I don’t have a cellar so I’m going to have to keep it artificially cool.

Here are two ideas I’ve had.

1. Normal 4.6 Sq. Ft. kegerator type fridge with Johnson control set for 51 F. This would necessitate the cask being upright and served with a Cask widge (see here http://www.caskwidge.com/) OK I’m assuming I could put the rebreather on where the soft spile goes but I might be wrong. Also this would necessitate a beer engine to serve it. Not sure how to get a beer engine on a Kegerator fridge or if it would even fit. Also getting pricy with all that equipment.

2. Serve with gravity with a plastic tap and put on cask rebreather in normal way. But how to keep the proper temperature. I know UK brewing supplies has some cooling options but they are insulation blanket, ice jacket or some sort of cooling element. I don’t want to be changing ice every 12 hours and the cooling element has to be hooked up to an existing glycol system, which obviously I don’t have. So what to do.

As any good Homebrewer as I walked through any store I looked at things and thought could I use that for homebrewing and I saw this :

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/danby-c...h=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH:fridge

It’s not that expensive it has a LED thermostat, it’s temp range is just right. Could I fit a pin in there horizontally? Wal-mart sez it’s depth is 53 cm. Northern Brewer sez a pin is 15 inches high. That’s 38 cm. So my question is how tall (vertically speaking) or wide (horizontally speaking) is a pin with that black plastic cask tap once in place. To be clear I’m not going to cut through the glass and have the tap outside. I want the whole of the pin with the tap inside the closed fridge. Can this work?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Back