Need ideas for 2nd runnings batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Barfield

Honey, put on that party dress
Reaction score
Hey, folks.

I'm brewing a Belgian dubbel this weekend. Doing a no-sparge, full volume batch for the first runnings. Grain bill includes Belgian 2-row (~70%), and the rest aromatic malt, CaraRed, Special B, and D-180 candi syrup.

I'd love to hear some ideas about possibilities for the second runnings batch. I was thinking of capping the mash with about 8 pounds of SOMETHING that, when remashed with the existing grist, then drained and boiled, would yield an OG of about 1.040. I was thinking of a blend of Belgian 2-row / pilsner and CaraMunich for a (mild?)Belgian amber.

(BTW: props to Kai's Parti Gyle Simulator spreadsheet. Use it all the time!)

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Barfield

Barfield

Reaction score
Sounds excellent! I was concerned that the second runnings of this batch might be too dark for a Belgian pale. SRM of the first batch is high, a little out of spec for style, at 26 to 27. I didn't know how much of that color would come through in the second runnings.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
When I do a second running beer I use 1 lb of pils malt(high DP) and 1-2 lbs of flaked barley or oats or rye,what ever works for the style. I put them in a grain bag ( saved from my steeping days) put it in the second BK and sparge on top. just make sure not to go over 154* . My sparges take ~30 min so a good steep time.

OP
OP
Barfield

Barfield

Reaction score
Thanks, hottpeper13. With my HERMS system, I could just cap the (drained) first runnings mash with the pils/flaked grain combo and sparge from there. Do you collect the runnings in real-time as you're sparging? For my system, it's easier to underlet a new volume of strike water, mash, and collect the second runnings. Same results in the end, I guess.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I do an underlet batch sparge and use a bag in the tun so I can run off in less then 10 minutes. I'm pretty sure I do most things in real time except I use time stalling when drinking and sports.