Need hop schedule help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nasa258e

Reaction score
So, I was in a creative mood last night and decided to create a cherry American barley wine recipe.

2.5 gallon boil

Steeping grains
.5 lb caramel 90

Malt extract
15 lbs northern brewer amber LME

Yeast
Wyeast 1945 Neobrittania at brew.
Cheap dry champagne yeast added to secondary.

Adjuncts
3 lbs 1 oz cherry puree added to secondary

I have 2 oz. Cascade and 1 oz. Willamette and would like to use these as well as some more but are not married to them.
Thanks for the help.

you're probly gonna need some more hops. going off what you currently have I would say throw your 2 oz cascade in at 60' and the willamette at about 15. If you're gonna buy more hops I would get something with high alpha acids like centennial, columbus, summit or nugget. I'd recommend centennial or summit for the barleywine. They're high alpha, give a smooth bitterness, and have grapefruit/orange flavors that will play well with your cherry. The cascades have a similar grapefruit flavor but not quite enough kick to bitter a big beer like that.

I did something in a one gallon that was similar, and just guessing, I think you might need some more hops than that. I did the equivalent of four oz mostly in late additions and it was big, but you need to match all that malt, esp with willamettes. I wish I would have used more, columbus and centennials...

Also, when do you plan on drinking? most of those hops will really fade,

just my.02$

Back