Need help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Crap!! Brewed an IPA last night and I noticed (this morning) my bucket has a small leak at the spout seal. It's a small leak but need to do something. My wife suggested buying an arm length glove/bag sanitizing it and reaching in to tighten. Or should I transfer to my carboy then back to the bucket?

How big is your carboy? You would probably be better off using it, and use the bucket for bottling. Those bucket valves leak, not just at the seal.

Just wash and rinse your arm real well then soak it in boiling water for five minutes. I guess you could substitute star-san for the boiling water. Then reach in and tighten it.

Francis said:
It's a 5g carboy.

Can you get hold of a 1 gallon jug? Put 4 in the carboy, and one or two gallon jugs, then do something crazy with the gallon batches.
Or reach in.

Wash up, sanitize, reach in and fix it. Then you could call this brew Armpit Hair IPA.. or maybe not.

Don't forget to shave that arm!
Just kidding, clip/clean nails, star san arm and reach in. No problem.:ban:

I've had that happen before with my bottling bucket, and I've had luck with tightening it from the outside, no sanitation needed. The nut seems to stay in place on mine when I turn the spigot, so maybe yours is the same?

Back