Need help with Vienna Larger recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'd like to brew a Vienna Larger type of beer, maybe something like a Dos Equis Amber or Negro Modelo. I like both of these but think that a homebrewed version would be much better. Does anyone have a recipe they could share?
Thanks,

Charlie Papazian, in his 3rd edition of The Complete Joy of Homebrewing, provides this extract recipe of Noche Buena.
6.6 lbs dark LME
1 lb rice extract
1 lb light crystal malt - 30 minute steep
.25 lb toasted malt barley - 30 minute steep
1.25 oz German spalt hop - 60 minute boil
1 oz Saaz hops - 15 minute boil
1 oz Hallertauer hops - 5 minute boil
German lager yeast (saflager s-23)

Og: 1.056-1.060
Fg: 1.014-1.018

Ferment two weeks and then bottle Or Ferment and rack to carboy for 3 week lager.

If you can help it, brew it to German lager specs, not Mexican lager specs. There are zero good Mexican beers, in my opinion.

OG in the 1.050-1.056 range
FG shoot for 1.012-1.014
93% vienna malt
7% caramunich
German noble hops to about 20 IBU
German Lager yeast fermented at 50F, lager as long as you can stand it (at least 4 weeks).

But, hey, that's just like, you know, my opinion, man.

I just brewed one:

8.5# Vienna
1/2# Aromatic
2oz Debittered Black Malt

1oz Hallertau - 60
.5oz Hallertau - 20
.5oz Hallertau - Flame Out

Total of 22 IBU, 1.050 OG

Safbrew 34/70

Recipe in my drop down won gold in competition. I agree Beersk, go with a German version.

There are many other recipes in the recipe section, too. I know there are a couple that lean toward the Mexican style if that's really what you want.

"Larger"...

original.gif

;)

Back