Need Help with Porter Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dominicmsu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so far I have the following:

3.3 lb Muntons Light (liquid extract)
3.3 lb Muntons Amber (liquid extract)
0.75 lb Crystal 60
0.5 lb Special B
0.67 lb Chocolate
0.25 Black Patent
cold brewing coffee for addition after wort is cooled

Thoughts?

Need help with Hops.

Also, been trying to do more partial brewing, bought 6.5 gal pot (living in an apartment with no outside space to expand past the stove). Could I use more crystal in my brewing instead of amber malt? Any help is appreciated.

Dominic

Looks solid to me. I wouldn't add more crystal malt. If you want to mash something you can add some pale malt, but with so much specialty malt it really won't come through.

For a coffee porter I'd go easy on the hops, so 35 IBUs of a clean bittering hop near the start of the boil. You could certainly add a touch of earthy or citrusy hops near the end to complement the coffee, but it certainly doesn't need it.

I'd actually cut the C60 to 1/2lb - Special B is a crystal malt too, and your extracts have crystal in them as well.

Ditto what Oldsock said re the hops - don't try and compete with the coffee. I'd probably do 1.5 oz of East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes and leave it at that.

Back