Need help with partial mash Yuengling clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
First attempt at a partial mash. I am attempting a Yuengling clone.

1lb 8oz Corn Flaked
1lb Crystal Malt 60l
1lb Munich Malt
1oz Cascade 60m
.5oz Cluster 15m
.5oz Cluster 5m
American Lager Wyeast #2035

OG: 1.047
IBU: 19.6
SRM: 11.7
FG: 1.010
ABV: 4.7%

If I was doing all extract I would do 5lbs of light DME but I was hoping to do a partial mash. Can I substitue some or all of the DME for 2row? If so how much?

The Munich malt seems out of place. Yuengling is pretty much domestic 2-row pale, corn and some crystal malt. I'd eliminate the Munich, add two pounds of 2-row for your mini-mash along with the corn and crystal then add 4 pounds of dry light extract. Yuengling's IBU is probably about 12-14 but I think your 19 would taste better.

Yep, not sure why I had the munich in there. Thanks for the help. It seems NB is out of #2035, any recommendation for a sub or should I just search around and find it?

Yep, not sure why I had the munich in there. Thanks for the help. It seems NB is out of #2035, any recommendation for a sub or should I just search around and find it?

Wyeast 2042 Danish is an excellent general purpose lager stain and would be good here IMO.

Here is my revised recipe

1lb 8oz Corn Flaked
1lb Crystal Malt 60l
2lb 2row
1oz Cascade 60m
.5oz Cluster 15m
.5oz Cluster 5m
American Lager Wyeast #2035

OG: 1.058
IBU: 16.4
SRM: 11.7
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.8%

ABV is to high now...I want to be closer to 4.5%. I am confused on the mash piece and maybe don't have that setup right and that's why the ABV is too high or should I just drop some DME? What type of mash profile should I use, I only have 2 stainless pots (5g and a 2g). Beersmith says Mash in:to add 5.63 qt of water at 159 for 75 minutes step temp of 148 and Mash out: 3.6qt water at 203.8 for 10 minutes with a step temp of 168. Why is step temperature lower....I assume thats due to loss of heat when I add the grains?

for what it's worth i was going to do a BIAB version of this too... never got around to doing it because my fermentation fridge crapped out. so it's on the back burner for now... so never brewed, but this was what i came up with and was going to try...

6lbs pale malt (6row)
2lbs flaked corn
12oz crystal malt 90L
8oz caramunich
8oz carapils
.5oz cluster 60m
.5oz cascade 25m
wyeast 2112

OG: 1.051
IBU: 18.6
SRM: 11
FG: 1.013