Need help with my next PM IPA hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevendst

Reaction score
I am making my 4th PM batch and would like some info on a good hop schedule. My first IPA I used 6.6 Amber liquid extract,1lb. Caramel/crystal malt 40L, .5lb Victory malt and .5 Munich malt.I used (all pellet) 1oz Fuggles at 60 min, 2oz NB at the end and 30z Cascade for dry hopping. The IPA turned out good but I am looking for a bigger bite and hop aroma. My next batch I am using 6.6lb Pale liquid extract, 1lb Vienna malt, 1lb Munich malt and 1lb crystal malt 30L. I have ordered my hops from freshops.com and will be receiving today 4oz Magnum, 4oz NB, 2oz Fuggles and 2oz Citra. What would be a good hop schedule to get the result I am looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

:drunk:

Other than the Citra, none of those hops are known for their 'bite'. Your previous batch used NB 'at the end', did you do a flavor add and an aroma add? What was the timing.

The recipe I had told me to use 1oz fuggles at the beginning of the boil and the 1oz NB at the last 5 minute mark. We dry hopped the cascade. What type of hop should I use to attain my goal?

I'd bump the fuggles down to the 45 minute mark (assuming 60 minute boil), or spread 1.5oz fuggles at 45, 30, 15. That will give you a more balanced hop profile.

If you want a bigger bite, you need a bittering hop with some higher alpha acids at the beginning of the boil - I would try 1/2 or 3/4 oz of something like Chinook, Centennial or Warrior at 60 minutes.

Good luck!

Sorry, didn't really read your entire post.

Here's what I would schedule with magnum, NB, fuggles and citra:

.5 oz Magnum @ 60 minutes
.25 oz NB @ 45 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles @ 30 minutes
.5 oz Fuggles @ 15 minutes

Dry Hop .75 oz fuggles, .75 oz citra.

Puts you at a solid 63.7 IBU with good dry hop aroma (you can even bump up to 1 and 1 dry hopping if you prefer).

Similar to an IPA that I normally do - just my two cents.

Back