Need help with my keg connections order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadGuyNick

Reaction score
I'm new to kegging, picked up two 5 gal ball lock kegs off craigslist the other day. I'm on keg connection looking at my options for a kit and I'm not sure what to get for my set up (looking at the two faucet fridge kit, going SS and Perlick 630).

First, I think I want the Chudnow dual body regulator. My assumption is that with this regulator I'll be able to have two different pressure levels for my two kegs, since there are two separate gauges for PSI. Am I right in assuming this?

Second, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to choose for the shank assemblies. I'll definitely get SS, but what size? It auto selects 4 1/8". Is that what I want? Or am I reading it wrong, and it's saying 4x of 1/8"? I feel really dumb for this question. :smack:

Third, is ordering a CO2 cylinder worth it, or should I just find it locally? $65 for a 5lb seems pricey, but I haven't tried to locally source any yet. Portland, OR if that helps anyone give me advice.

And lastly, a faucet wrench. Should I bother? Is the extra $7 for the deluxe wrench worth it?

I'd say buy a dual body regulator. Buy once, cry once. I have 4" shanks for my mini-fridge and it seems appropriate. Look at how thick the fridge door is to select an appropriate size for what you have. I'd look locally for a tank as that's steep, and a lot of places swap tanks (ie- that shiny new tank will be swapped for some old steel one). Maybe you can set up an account at a place that sells tanks? I use a basic faucet wrench for my setup.

Thanks for the reply!

I have 4" shanks for my mini-fridge and it seems appropriate. Look at how thick the fridge door is to select an appropriate size for what you have.

How much extra length should I have, if any? My fridge door is about 2" thick, should I get the 2 1/8" option?

EDIT: Looking at their shanks page, it says what each length has for usable shank length. Is that usable length the thickness of the door?

Usable Shank Space: The amount of shank space that is available after using the front and rear components.
http://www.kegconnection.com/shanks...-size/?page_context=category&faceted_search=0

I think the 2-1/8 will be too short if your door is 2". Go with 4-1/8 shanks and you should be fine. There's no harm in going longer, since they're going thru a fridge door, you should have plenty of room for the shanks to protrude back a little.

Definitely get a faucet wrench.

A dual body reg is the way to go. I like the Taprite myself, as pressure adjustments are much easier (no screwdriver required) but I'm sure the Chudnow is fine.

As far as a tank, it depends on what you have for fill options locally. If the only option you have is to swap, then I'd look to get one locally. If you can get a fill while you wait, then it might make more sense to buy your own tank and have it filled as needed.

Put the order in. Now I just have to wait for it and worry every minute of every day that it wont get stolen off my porch while I'm at work, even though I've never had a problem with packages getting stolen before... Man, I worry too much!

Back