Need help with my hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scullyjunior

Reaction score
Hello brewers im new to this and am trying a inmate style homebrew wine i tested it with the hydrometer lastnight and it saying for approximate potential is reading 20% is this good or bad is it ready to drink its only been going for 5-6days but just seems odd here is a pictures thanks again any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

image.jpg

umm. you are reading the wrong side of the scale. you need the side that has the specific gravities 1.000 1.010 1.020, etc. rotate the thing around or move the camera to teh other side

Thanks for the quick replys guys im going to redo my reading sorry im bew to these hydrometers all help is greatly appreciated and valued

....am trying a inmate style homebrew wine i tested it with the hydrometer lastnight and.....
Why, are you an inmate????? No, wait, chances are slim you'd have a hydrometer in the clink ;) Detailed specifics would help..... recipe, original gravity (the "other side" of the hydrometer, as noted above....your gravity reading looks to be around 1.15, which is silly high, is this even fermenting? .....gonna be a long time before this is ready to drink, if ever

As someone who works in a prison I will never understand with peoples' interest in "inmate brew". Busted guys with hooch before and the smell alone gave me a headache lol

Anyway, I gotta agree with fuelish, that gravity reading is crazy high, what recipe did you go by?

Hey guys took another reading today which i will post the picture as well but i got the recipe off craigtube does alot of home brewing he said to use 2 cups of sugar and two tablespoons of yeast which i did but i added 2-1/2 cups of sugar and just using regular fruit punch from the grocery store and yes the airlock is bubbling not fast but its bubbling

image.jpg

I am not really sure about jailhouse wine but I do like wine I mean a really lot but also beer too cuz sometimes I just like beer it just depends on the day but again wine is good both red and white and even the pink ones too but probably if I were going to jail I would ask for a beer first but not just any beer probably a good one like a barrel aged stout or maybe even an imperial dunno would just depend

Back