Need help with my first hime brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
*HOME not Hime ;)
Hello Guys, I would appreciate any help here. I am on my third day of my first home brew. It's a coopers IPA kit. I used all dry malt and no dextrose, I also did 1oz cascade hop pellet tea& 11g of Nottingham yeast for 23 liters. My starting gravity was 1.040 :( and on the second full day it was1.030. A question I had is, for a kit like this, how long should I let it stay in the fermentor? At what point is it too dangerous, and what is the benefit of leaving it? Thanks guys!

Leave the beer in the fermenter until your FG has stabilized, and then go about a week longer.

Once you hit your FG which at an OG of 1.040 should be around 1.009-1.010 (seems like a very small IPA to me but meh) then you are ready to dry hop the beer. 2 weeks after the dry hop addition you should be ready for bottles/keg.

No real threat in allowing it to stay in there. As long as you sanitized properly and you arent getting too much oxygen in there, you're good to go! Leave it in there at least until fermentation is complete. Do you know hat your FG is supposed to be? Every couple days or so, you can take a sample for a gravity reading to be sure, or about 10 days is a safe bet. Then you can rack to a secondary or bottle.
The benefit of leaving it for a while is that the beer will condition and level itself out, in terms of taste. Esters will fade and off flavors should subside.
Patience is key in brewing! I can't stress that enough. I've drank several premature beers in my brewing life before I really learned that.

squirrelly said:
Leave the beer in the fermenter until your FG has stabilized, and then go about a week longer.

Once you hit your FG which at an OG of 1.040 should be around 1.009-1.010 (seems like a very small IPA to me but meh) then you are ready to dry hop the beer. 2 weeks after the dry hop addition you should be ready for bottles/keg.

It is low for an IPA, but it's my first brew and I did not know how to increase it, I did not want to use any"sugars". I think it happened because I only used dme?

Don't get me wrong, it should be a good first brew. In fact a session beer for your first brew is not a bad idea since it will take less time to finish out, and you can drink the beer quicker.

For the future if you want to boost the OG you can add more DME to the starting recipe. Of course you will need to adjust your hop amounts and pitching rate as well.

squirrelly said:
Don't get me wrong, it should be a good first brew. In fact a session beer for your first brew is not a bad idea since it will take less time to finish out, and you can drink the beer quicker.

For the future if you want to boost the OG you can add more DME to the starting recipe. Of course you will need to adjust your hop amounts and pitching rate as well.

In this batch I believe I used 2 1/2-3lbs of dme. How much more would you recommend? Thanks so much for your help. I'm uber nervous as I feel so new and lost, I am also excited ;)

It's been so long since I've used extract I'm not exact on the numbers, but I think 1 pound should be 1.034. I'm sure someone will correct me on that if it's not accurate. From there you should be able to figure out how much extract to add to equal X gravity.

I would just plug the numbers into the brewing software of your choice and add extract until you get a gravity you are happy with; assuming you are doing 100% extract and no partial mash.

Back