need help with my first cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckmug

Reaction score
After a successful (first) beer making attempt I was on youtube and watched a few cider making videos. In those videos, the people took preservative free apple cider or juice, added sugar to the desired sg, pitched standard baker's yeast then let it bubble away under a lock. I thought "hey, thats even easier than beer and i could go for a nice cider right about now." Then i remembered this forum had a cider section so i started looking around. Clearly it is not as simple as they made it out to be in those videos. two questions:

1. What would my results be like following the youtube videos?
2. Is there a sticky somewhere, or an intro to cider making resource you are aware of?

It is pretty much as easy as they say.

However, a very important element that you did not mention is time. I think it takes about three to four weeks before fermented apple juice really starts to taste respectable. I was so excited during my first few batches that I drank them way too early. But as soon as I started to have some backstock everything started to taste much better.

Don't be discouraged by your first batch.

I was shooting in the dark so it was hit and miss for me. But I am pretty happy with my ciders now and others seem to be as well.

Just have at it. Start with smaller batches and you will have something quite nice pretty quick then move on to 5 gallons etc.

Get a nice base recipe that you like first and then start adjusting to your taste. It is at least easy as beer and on it's most basic level indeed, it is easier.

Start with Nottinghams - you will be way ahead.

don't use bakers yeast. results are NASTY. use a decent yeast. i use montrachet wine yeast, which is very popular for cider. it's also $.50-$1 a package, and to many people, produces the best results. other people like nottingham, liquid english yeast, california yeast, etc. 1 of my favorite recipes is 5 gallons great value apple juice (wal mart brand, since it has no preservatives, e.g. potassium sorbate), 4 lbs table sugar, and montrachet yeast ... aka edwort's apfelwein

It is pretty much as easy as they say.

Just have at it. Start with smaller batches and you will have something quite nice pretty quick then move on to 5 gallons etc.

this is key in my opinion. i started out making lots of 5L batches. some were outstanding, some pretty good, a few were, um, camel piss. making many smaller batches gives you lots of experience quickly, lets you experiment, is loads of fun, and shows you what you like and where you are likely to go wrong. i would start simple, good juice and a good yeast and you don't need much else except patience. a hydrometer helps and is really cheap. meanwhile you can read lots of discussions on this site and see what the big guys do, and you can start to incorporate these ideas as you understand the process better, but don't be put off by the very complex recipes and techniques that some people use. on a simple level, cider is pretty hard to ruin, and really- you are going to love what you make even if the pros wouldn't give it a sniff. or at the very least you will have an awful lot of extremely high quality vinegar!

1 of my favorite recipes is 5 gallons great value apple juice (wal mart brand, since it has no preservatives, e.g. potassium sorbate), 4 lbs table sugar, and montrachet yeast ... aka edwort's apfelwein

Exactly how much yeast per gallon? I ordered mine by the packet. Is one packer per 5/gallon enough? Huge newbie here.... just gotta ask... Thanks for the help!

I would try some of the wyeast cider yeast, lavlin 1118 should definitely be on your list. right now I decided to do a test this year with several yeast packages:
1. Lavlin d47
2. lavlin 1118
3. redstar pasteur de champagne
4. redstar cotes de blanc
5. wyeast cider
6. and one other I can't recall right now.

1118 is a proven strain for me. Will update with the results in about 3 more months or so when I bottle.

I will say this - your must makes a huge difference. store bought versus fresh cider is the most common result of camel piss vs. enjoyable cider.

I agree with the rest. Get a lot of hooch going at once so you can learn a lot. You best cider will likely be 6+months old from your start unless you are putting amendments into it.

Exactly how much yeast per gallon? I ordered mine by the packet. Is one packer per 5/gallon enough? Huge newbie here.... just gotta ask... Thanks for the help!

Dry wine yeast is usually packaged in 5g sachets & 1 sachet is enough for 5 gallons. I routinely use 1 sachet for 6 gallons with great results, no starter, just rehydrated as per instructions on the packet. Regards, GF.

About an ounce per gallon. Your yeast packet should say.

NOT EVEN CLOSE! 5grams per 5 gallons (1g/gal.); there are about 28 grams in 1 ounce, talk about overkill.

Dry wine yeast comes packaged in 5 gram packets & 1 packet is good for 5 gallons, I use it in 6 gallons all the time with good results.

or in my case fresh pear vs fresh apple juice...

I did a perry cider blend this year for the first time (bumper pear crop). Pressing pears kinda sucked compared to apples, but I am interested in seeing the results! I have heard perry can be a fickle beast.

Back