Need help with my apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waramir

Reaction score
need help with my apfelwein

heres the story:

I brewed it on February 2014 , after fermentation was done i transferred to secondary to age it for at least 6 months in my fermenter fridge w temp control. my plan was to bottle it on august 2014.

one thing led to another , life got in the way and i did not bottle it on august 2014. on November 2014 i moved into a new house , got the news my wife was pregnant, got a new job. so a lot went on with life at the end of 2014.

so i moved to the new house , moved my apfelwein (still in secondary) to the new house. but somehow forgot to plug my fermentation fridge to the power. a few days ago i remembered i had this batch sitting there without power. it went all winter and all 2015 (with hot southern texas summer days) unpowered . i looked hard but couldnt find any signs of bacteria , it looks nice and clean. took a sip and seemed fine.

would it still be safe to bottle & drink? can i still carbonate it with sugar after all this time or would all the yeast still left over after the primary to secondary be dead already?

any suggestions?

Package it up and enjoy.

This recipe does not call for racking the wine off the lees. I've made it twice. Bottled once and kegged the second. I'm a fan.

All that racking and moving and sitting around (was your airlock still full) may have imparted some oxygenation but that's no reason to dump it.

If it looks good/tastes good, drink it. :D

Back