Need help with correct BJCP Style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outterbanks

Reaction score
I brewed a wheat and want to enter in a contest next week but do not know where it fits in the BJCP style listing. It tastes more like a pale ale since I do not like any thing with a clover taste.

6lbs Wheat LME
8oz Caravienne
8oz Carapils
1oz Sterling 45 min
1oz Palisade 5 min

Wyeast American Wheat #1010
OG 1.65
FG 1.05

It has been a poplar brew among those who do not care for the traditional wheat styles.

What are your gravity readings again? If you meant 1.065 OG than your beer would be around 8%...?

That is out of style for 6D

I think this might be one of the cases where you might want to not enter it. Compititions (especially BJCP sanctioned ones) are all about brewing beer to a specific style. Your beer might be awesome, but if it is out of the style you enter it into you will get knocked way down... and sometimes a beer will not really fit in any style. If you really want to enter it and it doesn't fit anywhere else you could try 23 - and describe it as an Imperial American Wheat, just be sure to read the 6D description, taste you beer and really consider if it fits that catagory 9or is just a bit big for that cat :D)

brettg20 said:
What are your gravity readings again? If you meant 1.065 OG than your beer would be around 8%...? That is out of style for 6D

Sorry the OG was 1.5. I had looked at the logs for another brew.

I'd say 6D - American Wheat. The American wheat I brew has a lot more than 1oz of late hops, so your 1oz of Palisade at 5 mins doesn't bother me. As long as it's not overly bitter that is.

Sorry the OG was 1.5. I had looked at the logs for another brew.

I think you're misreading your hydrometer and missing a "0". I'm pretty sure that you mean your OG was 1.050, and final was maybe 1.005. That should fit ok into 6D.

Ask yourself why you are entering; if you are hoping that the beer will medal, then give the 6D style guidelines a thorough read while tasting your beer and see if it matches up well. If it doesn't, then I wouldn't bother entering the comp.

If you are mainly interested in receiving feedback on your beer, then go ahead and enter it into whatever style seems to fit most closely. Looks like that would probably be American Wheat. Good luck!

You are right; the OG for the wheat was 1.05. I am entering just to get feed back. I have spent time this summer building temperature controllers for refrigerators I picked up at NC State Surplus in Raleigh for $25 each. They worked really well at holding the temps during fermentation.

I would also add that if this is your first time entering a competition, be prepared for potentially "bad" feedback.

Try to keep in mind that your beer is evaluated by how well it matches up to the style description for the given category. It is not necessarily an indication of whether your beer is tasty or not. As an extreme example, if you enter a world-class Russian Imperial Stout as a Light American Lager, you can expect some pretty awful scoresheets.

So going by the recipe (or style description for a recipe) isn't always the best approach--sometimes your beer will come out heavier or lighter than intended, or it will be more or less bitter, etc. So maybe it matches up to another style better. In your case, it really does sound like an American Wheat, but even then it might be too hoppy or not hoppy enough, or too estery, etc. to match up to the style description. It is not necessarily an indication that it's undrinkable swill, though.

Back