Need help with CO2 tank problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWRIGHT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I kegged my first two batches today and I am having some trouble with my CO2 tank. When I got it filled earlier today the high pressure gauge read 200 psi when I connected it. I've had two kegs carbing at 30 psi for a couple hours now and it is now reading 100 psi. I could not detect any leaks, but like I said, I am new to kegging. Is my gague just not working? Is there some way I can tell how much CO2 left. Even with a leak, there should be more than 100 psi left right? Need some help.

Is the tank in the refrigerator? Cold tanks will read a different pressure than room temp ones.

My 5lb tank reads 900 warm and 850 cold when it's full... Either your gauge is broken or you lost a bunch of gas somewhere. Have you sprayed for leaks? Try filling a spray bottle with starsan or soapy water and spray the whole system down. You can easily find leaks this way, they'll bubble like nuts.

The tank is in the fridge at 40F. It went down a little from room temp to being cold. I didn't spray for leaks because I am a lazy SOB, but I will. I really don't think its a leak though because when I first connected the gauge to the tank it read 200. Does anyone know a way to tell how much is left in the tank without relying on the gauge? If I could confirm that the tank is full then I would know that the gauge is just defective. The only other thing that could have happened would be that the tank was only filled to 200 psi. I don't know how they judge how much to put in the tank.

The tank is in the fridge at 40F. It went down a little from room temp to being cold. I didn't spray for leaks because I am a lazy SOB, but I will. I really don't think its a leak though because when I first connected the gauge to the tank it read 200. Does anyone know a way to tell how much is left in the tank without relying on the gauge? If I could confirm that the tank is full then I would know that the gauge is just defective. The only other thing that could have happened would be that the tank was only filled to 200 psi. I don't know how they judge how much to put in the tank.

I have 4 20lb tanks and 2 sets of gauges ... the gauges read differently on the same tank FWIW . I think my LHBS has the low pressure gauge for like 5 bucks and the high for maybe 10.... gauges are cheap (regulator isn't so cheap). Id get a good set of gauges bigtime. Also Ive filled up my tub and put the tank in it to look for bubbles . Good luck:mug:

My 5# reads 900 when full and warm, and 600 when it goes in the fridge. Might be best to take your tank and regulator back to the place you got if filled. They might check the regulator for you to see if the gauges work.

To check tank fullness, run hot water over the tank for about 1 minute. Then set the tank on the counter and run your hand up and down the side. You will feel a temperature break at the level of the CO2. BTW if the bottle really is empty, you'll notice that it's really light.

You could also weigh the empty tank with regulator, then compare it to a full tank-- should weigh about an extra 5 lbs. (or whatever size your tank is). Periodically weighing it as you use it should tell you how much is left.

Of course, I'm too lazy to do this so I always get anxious when I'm in the middle of bottling or something and I see the pressure start to fall quickly. Now I have a second tank that I'm going to fill and keep as a reserve.

So I checked on my beer on my lunch break today. The good news is it is nearly carbed. The bad news is that I checked the high pressure gague and it was down to 0. I opened the tank valve and it hissed for about 2 seconds and quit. There was never more than gas in it. I'm convinced that I didn't have a leak AND my gague works fine. I think the guy at the store just didn't fill it very much. He's not used to filling 5lb tanks. Its a sporting goods store that normally only deals with paint ball. Anyway now I have to call this guy without getting pissed because he's the only one in town that will fill my tank without having to exchange it. Maybe I'll show him how to do it next time.

Ok, so weigh your tank now that it's empty and write that weight on the side as TARE. Bring a scale to the store with you and make sure when he's done filling it weighs TARE + 5lbs.

Tare is the weight of an empty container. On a digital scale, you first put your container on the scale and press a button marked TARE. The scale will now read zero. That way the scale will read the weight of the product you put in the container instead of the combined weight. Obviously, standard scales don't have that option, so you need to know the empty weight of the container (TARE) in order to calculate the weight of product.

So, I went back to the same place to get my tank refilled. They guy told me that he did fill it by weight, after he had zeroed the scale. So I told him to go ahead and fill it. Thought maybe I had a leak AND a faulty gague. I should have known better. He came back out and told me he could only get 3lb 11oz into the tank. So at this point I know something is wrong with his technique/equipment/or brain. So I take it home and weigh it and it is only 1.2lbs heavier than what it was empty. So the "3lb 11oz" is a mystery. I guess I'll have to exchange my brand new shiny tank for a $h!tty used one. This sucks. Does anyone normally have problems with exchange, because that was the only guy in town that would FILL my tank.

That's where one of these would come in very handy.

417-KGtSrhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66627

So, I went back to the same place to get my tank refilled. They guy told me that he did fill it by weight, after he had zeroed the scale. So I told him to go ahead and fill it. Thought maybe I had a leak AND a faulty gague. I should have known better. He came back out and told me he could only get 3lb 11oz into the tank. So at this point I know something is wrong with his technique/equipment/or brain. So I take it home and weigh it and it is only 1.2lbs heavier than what it was empty. So the "3lb 11oz" is a mystery. I guess I'll have to exchange my brand new shiny tank for a $h!tty used one. This sucks. Does anyone normally have problems with exchange, because that was the only guy in town that would FILL my tank.

I've never had a problem with exchange. The tank I get is usually just as clean and nice and new as the one I give them. Then again, I can exchange at my LHBS, I imagine you wouldn't get as nice a service with a welding place.

That's where one of these would come in very handy.

Thats what the guy filling your tank most likely, or SHOULD have at his store. Even for just filling paintball tanks. Our Field had one for the co2. In Case you haven't picked it up yet from the thread, Co2 is filled by weight as apposed to say compressed air that is filled by PSI.

I'd keep looking for places to fill that tank. Check your LHBS, fire extinguisher places, welding supply, even some propane places will fill Co2

LHBS is 45 mins away. Fire extinguisher place is 30min. No welding shop in town would fill the tank, only exchange. Gas place did not have CO2. A couple of the sporting goods stores had CO2 but would not fill more than like 22oz. That's why I was psyched to hear this guy tell me that he would fill it for me. Yes, I realize that CO2 is filled by weight. That is why I know that when this guy tells me that he put 3lb 11oz in my tank and I take it home and it's more like 1lb 2oz, I'm through. That's enough information for me. I suppose sometimes folding is the best option. I've decided to quit my b!tch!ng, exchange my tank, and be happy that I now have beer on tap. Thanks for the help though.

I'm going for the paintball setup for more than just portability. Its a good contingency as Lowe's exchanges full tanks 7 days a week and they are 5 minutes away.

We're also getting a Dick's Sporting Goods store 5 minutes away that will open in the Fall. Both will come in handy on a Sunday when the tank is empty... Of course it will happen at 9 PM when they are closed, but then I may as well go to bed. :D

What I did was filled my little nice shiny tank to use for my portable setup. Talk about being the hit of the party when you show up with 5 gallons of homebrew:) Then I went to the welding shop and I rent a bigger 20 lb (i think) tank for the home setup. It cost a hundred bucks or so to "buy" the first tank, but from now on I just pay for the exchange. MUCH cheaper in the long run when compared to refilling the little 5lb job every 6 kegs.

Yeah, I plan on getting something small I think for a backup. Maybe the same rout EW is going. Definitely don't want to get stuck on a Sunday with no CO2 (cant buy beer on Sun. in IN). A 5lb is most practical for me now. I can get 2 more cornys in my fridge using a 5lber. I'm not real concerned with the look of my tank. As long as it works im cool. The only thing is, I bought my tank new with 2 corny's from MWS and the date stamp is from this April. I've read the "caution" thread about getting screwed with an out of date stamp and having to buy a new one.

Same happened to me, placed tank in fridge, pressure dropped drastically. Placed tank outside of fridge, pressure back to normal. Gauge measuring pressure not amount

just remember to always check the tank they give you for exchange. Don't hand yoour's over until you inspect the one they're giving you. Until then it's your tank, you have the right to refuse a crappy one they try and pass off on you.

Back