Need help with chiller and pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wlffmnnn

Reaction score
Ok this was my first attempt to use my shirron plate chiller and march pump. I gravity fed to the pump from the boil kettle right after I turned off the fire. Then I pumped to the plate chiller and through to the carboy. 2 things happened, 1 my hoses kept blowing off because of the heat and pressure, 2 my wort did not cool to pitching temp. Why did these thing happen? Also, what can I do to get my wort chilled effectively. Any suggestions will help. Thanks. Btw I brewed a Belgian ale that was traditionally served in a yard glass, I named it 4th and a yard Ale, what dod you think of the name. I am not good at creating names so input on my first attempt would be appreciated.

You'll have to provide a little more information. You mention your hoses kept blowing. How do you have them attached to the March pump and chiller? Unless there is a restriction in the plate chiller, that pump shouldn't build enough pressure to cause a problem with proper connections. Do you have the chiller hooked up correctly? You also mentioned that your wort didn't chill on one pass. That's pretty common unless you have very cold water and reduce the flow of wort. Most people either pre-chill their water or whirlpool back into the BK until everything is cooled down.

I used the regular push on hose fittings. I think that the tubing could not withstand the temp. I also probably should have used hose clamps. I should have restricted the flow now that I think about it. Where would I do that? I would assume between the pump and chiller.

I believe u can use the ball valve on your bk(if u have a valve there) to restrict the flow.

I believe u can use the ball valve on your bk(if u have a valve there) to restrict the flow.

NOOOOOO! Never, ever, never, ever restrict the flow TO the pump!

The connections, if correct with clamps, cannot blow.

You leave the vessel open supplying the pump, and then restrict flow via the outflow of the pump.

Yes, the March pump is designed to be controlled via output. Can you take a picture of your set-up? Maybe we can suggest some ideas to help you out and get you chillin'. The Shirron works well, just gotta give it a chance. Also, what kind of tubing did you use? If it's just the clear vinyl tubing, it will deform due to heat. You really need high-temp tubing. Most people use silicone tubing, 1/2 ID.

I used the clear. I am a plumber, I was thinking of using some wirsbo pipe instead of this stuff that is clamp on. I just have to check on the temp rating

Back