Need Help With Brewing Accident

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
Was brewing a chocolate stout. When I was done, I realized the temperature controller was out in my fermenter in my shop. So I brought it in the house. On the second night, the water seal blew.

Now, here is my problem that I need help with. Some of the black/brown wort got on the plaster blown ceiling. How do I get this off before the wife sees?

Was brewing a chocolate stout. When I was done, I realized the temperature controller was out in my fermenter in my shop. So I brought it in the house. On the second night, the water seal blew.

Now, here is my problem that I need help with. Some of the black/brown wort got on the plaster blown ceiling. How do I get this off before the wife sees?

Are you talking that popcorn crap they sprayed on ceilings in the 80s? You probably can't. Get a spray bottle filled with water, a scraper and a tarp. Spray, let soak and scrap it off. Hopefully it's a small room because that stuff sucks to remove. Have fun!

If it is a popcorn ceiling be very careful with how much moisture you add. It could loosen the texture. Or as GPP33 hinted you might be removing the texture from the entire room.

Start every fermentation with a blow off tube....

Stain hiding Oil based primer, let it dry for at least 8-10 hrs and then ceiling paint.

You can buy paint roller sleeves designed for rough surfaces which makes life easier.

Good luck,

And do not relax worry a whole bunch and drink coors light

Stain hiding Oil based primer, let it dry for at least 8-10 hrs and then ceiling paint.

You can buy paint roller sleeves designed for rough surfaces which makes life easier.

Good luck,

And do not relax worry a whole bunch and drink coors light

This, but "paint" instead with watered down plaster for a closer match.

Depends how big the room is. You could set up your future ferments to evenly spray the rest of the ceiling. I'm sure it will look great when you're done;)

Or start in the same spot and put paint in the airlock? Or duct tape...

Hahhaha future ferments sounds like a bed bath and beyond version of a home brew shop

Just wine kits, pumpkin spice kits, coffee porters, and fruit sours.

Latest posts

Back