Quantcast

Need Help With Brewing Accident

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

EZFrag

Reaction score
Was brewing a chocolate stout. When I was done, I realized the temperature controller was out in my fermenter in my shop. So I brought it in the house. On the second night, the water seal blew.

Now, here is my problem that I need help with. Some of the black/brown wort got on the plaster blown ceiling. How do I get this off before the wife sees?

GPP33

Reaction score
Was brewing a chocolate stout. When I was done, I realized the temperature controller was out in my fermenter in my shop. So I brought it in the house. On the second night, the water seal blew.

Now, here is my problem that I need help with. Some of the black/brown wort got on the plaster blown ceiling. How do I get this off before the wife sees?
Are you talking that popcorn crap they sprayed on ceilings in the 80s? You probably can't. Get a spray bottle filled with water, a scraper and a tarp. Spray, let soak and scrap it off. Hopefully it's a small room because that stuff sucks to remove. Have fun!

kh54s10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If it is a popcorn ceiling be very careful with how much moisture you add. It could loosen the texture. Or as GPP33 hinted you might be removing the texture from the entire room.

Start every fermentation with a blow off tube....

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
Stain hiding Oil based primer, let it dry for at least 8-10 hrs and then ceiling paint.

You can buy paint roller sleeves designed for rough surfaces which makes life easier.

Good luck,

And do not relax worry a whole bunch and drink coors light

Quadrupled

Reaction score
Stain hiding Oil based primer, let it dry for at least 8-10 hrs and then ceiling paint.

You can buy paint roller sleeves designed for rough surfaces which makes life easier.

Good luck,

And do not relax worry a whole bunch and drink coors light
This, but "paint" instead with watered down plaster for a closer match.

lschiavo

This space for rent.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Depends how big the room is. You could set up your future ferments to evenly spray the rest of the ceiling. I'm sure it will look great when you're done;)

Or start in the same spot and put paint in the airlock? Or duct tape...

oceanic_brew

Reaction score
Hahhaha future ferments sounds like a bed bath and beyond version of a home brew shop

Just wine kits, pumpkin spice kits, coffee porters, and fruit sours.