Need help with AG Smithwick's Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hufcat05

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to all grain brewing, though I do have a fair bit of experience in partial mashes. I'd like to try to make a Smithwick's clone and I found a thread on here that looks absolutely perfect: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/smithwicks-clone.594395/

My issue here is that there's no mash schedule or recommendations for water volumes during the mash and sparge phases. Can someone help me out in figuring out what I should be doing here?

Thanks in advance!

I'll get you started. Mash in with 4g of 163 deg water. 5 minutes after mash in, measure mash temperature and add a bit more water if necessary to increase the mash temperature to about 152. Sparge with 180 deg water until you hit your batch size, plus 1 gallon (assume 1g for boiloff). That's my procedure for nearly every beer I make (well, I do 11g batches, so I mash in with dbl what I stated above).

Of course, if you use Beersmith and add the exact equipment you're using and recipe etc, you'll get more accurate water numbers. But I like to just wing it and adjust on the fly. I've done that for 10 yrs :)

Back