Need help with a lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petep1980

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I have on hand:

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager yeast in 1 gallon starter. The starter is room temp, so I'll prob decant before pitching, but I don't have to. That's 1# extra light DME if I don't decant.

1oz Tradition @ 5.3% AA
1oz Hallertauer @ 3.0% AA

I haven't done an extract in ages, but I have to now because the wife won't allow all grain as often as I would like.

I'd like to do a lager, and I have lagering capabilities. I've used Cooper's Bavarian Lager in the past with great results, but that's hopped and I have no idea how to design with it.

Color is meaningless. OG I would like 1.055 to 1.060. IBUs in the mid 20s to low 30s is fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm lost doing extracts.

I would do this:

6.5 # DME
1oz tradition at 60min
1oz hallertau at 0min

For 5 gallons you'll get:

1.057 OG
26 IBUs

That yeast will be great. You could also add some steeping grains if you want. Up to you.

I'll prob run with it. Would you boil the DME for the entire 60? I would prob have to for proper hop utilization.

I may steep 1# caramunich which I have on hand.

Thanks

Yes I would. I would try to do as close to a full wort boil as possible for all 60 minutes with the DME in there. There are other methods that can deliver good results (arguably better) but that's what my calculations are based on.

Shes gonna complain about the smell of the lager yeast(Egg farts)

Latest posts

Back