Need help with a grain bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hound_Dog

Reaction score
So I will be teaching my cousins husband how to brew all grain in a few weeks and he said he wanted to brew an American Amber. He said that he would like to brew something similar to Bell's Amber. I pieced together a rough recipe and would like your expert knowledge of grain character to see if I'm anywhere close.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.059
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 32
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 16 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 2 Weeks @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ? we'll see

Malts:
7.5 pounds American 2 row pale malt
1.5 pounds Caramel/Crystal 60L
1.0 pounds Caramel/Crystal 40L
1.0 pounds Munich Malt 10L

Hops will be a combination of Fuggle and Cascade at 60, 15 and 5.

Will this put me close to his goal? Thanks for any help.

Also what mash temp and SG:IBU ratio would you recommend for a slight malt focus that still has good hop presence?

Thanks. I made some minor changes and figured I'd go with it.

just a word to the wise (havent checked the thread listed), crystal malt should be kept at most under 1.5# for a 5 gal batch. Personally i cap it at 1Lb but....I havent had bells so i dont know. As for mash temp i would mash at 150-152 for 60 minutes to make sure it attenuates a bit more to get down to where you want...at almost 1.060 SG its gonna be a bit high on the alcohol but the crystal malts and hops should balance nicley. Bells comes in at 1.056SG
http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands.html

Back