need help wiring this switch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I purchased THIS off Ebay and I can't figure out how to wire this. I plan on using this as my pump switch. Right now I am trying to get it to turn a light bulb on and off with no luck. I keep blowing my breaker when I hit the on switch.

The bottom side which is the red OFF has two unlabeled terminals

The top side green ON has 4 unlabeled terminals. If I wire my leads to the the two terminals closet to the push-button the middle LED light with light up but nothing happens when I hit the on/off button. I've tried many different configurations with no luck.

This has 1 NO Contact, and 1 NC contact FYI.

It looks to me like it just splits the hot lead. How do you have it wired? Maybe a pic.

If it is a momentary switch like the auction says then it won't work as a "switch" unless you have a latching relay setup or use this as an input to a control system. sparks aren't my forte', so I'm not sure how to wire it up, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to work like a normal light switch would.

A start/stop station needs a relay to work. Without it, you will need to sit there and hold the button in to get it to work. Just go get a toggle switch for a couple bucks and use that.

Well I figured it out. In my auction the switch is not listed at momentary or maintained. I assumed since it has a separate ON and OFF switch it would be maintained. Also, the NO contact was on top and the NC was on bottom. Once I took the switch apart I was able to see how the contacts work.

depends on if this is a momentary or maintained switch. You know the 2 closest to the led is the terminals for the light ("If I wire my leads to the the two terminals closet to the push-button the middle LED light with light up") Leave the neutral (or common) wire hooked up to one of them. Hook the power up to one of the terminals by the stop switch (this should be a n.c. contact) hook a wire to the other terminal by the stop switch and take the other end to one of the contacts by the start switch (this should be n.o. contact. the light bulb hot wire goes to the other side of the start switch, with the neutral hooked to the neutral

A start/stop station needs a relay to work. Without it, you will need to sit there and hold the button in to get it to work. Just go get a toggle switch for a couple bucks and use that.

I agree, I just really wanted a fancy looking switch from my pumps.

The breaker is tripping because you are creating a ground-fault. Any switch works by just breaking the circuit on the hot wire.

Back