Need help wiring my PID and SSR

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
I searched the forum and found some threads wiring a PID and SSR for an element. I am trying to wire a refrigerator. I want to use the fridge to put my fermenter in and was hoping the the PID would give me better temperature control.

The PID i purchased is the SYL 2362A2 PID. The SSR is 25A SSR. I also bought a temp probe.

Thanks for helping a noob out. I understand this wiring is probably fundamental, but I have no experience with wiring electrical things like this. I was hoping for better instructions with the devices. The SSR came with nothing.

Thanks again.

See if this helps: You can download the entire instruction manual here. I'm sure several of us can help you wire it up, but unless you understand the operation as well, you'll still need help with what to do next.

I'm still unsure how to wire the ssr. Also wondering how I will mount the PID in the door.

You don't want to use a PID to control a fridge, the compressor will die an early death if it cycles on and off frequently. You want to have a controller (Johnson, Ranco, Love, etc.) that will turn it on or off with a delay of minutes and not seconds.

Some of those like the Johnson or Ranco require you to only plug the fridge into the controller and then route the temp probe into the fridge, pretty easy.

Here the wiring diagram that I used with the help of HBT members and it works good for me. The switch is from automation direct not that it should matter but this should be helpful
betterwiring.jpg

re read the post and this really isn't that helpful

Hey guys, this is my first post, and i want to thank you all for the great information you provide here.
Anyway, i'm building my system (herms) and I just bougth a SYL 2362A2 PID on e-bay a few days ago. I'm wondering if it's all right to use it to power a 1000w heating element at 220v (i guess this gives me about 5A). I intend to use a 25A SSR with it. I was worried because i've only seen comments on this PID been used on refrigerators.
So, the question is to Krelja. What are your heater Wattage and your power supply voltage? Are you doing ok with your SYL 2362A2 PID?

The PID works great for my system. I'm running a 110v 1500w Low Density element. Also it is hooked up to a 20 amp SSR. All my components are mounted in a roughly 11x7x5 ammo can. It was hooked up on the bottom of the stand and that was fine until I started using filtered water which is colder and got my panel to hot. Now is is just set to the side and I couldn't be happier. I also rewired it to have a plug going to my RIMS tube, this way I can make a heat stick to help speed up my mash/sparge and the PID can still control it. Since I the PID allows for manual control I can use the PID to control the output of the element as opposed to using it to maintain a temperature like it does during my mash. Here are pics of my control panel

beer002.jpg

beer004.jpg

Latest posts

Back