Need Help understanding hydrometer reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikechambers

Reaction score
I just took my first hydrometer reading, and am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

I took the reading, and it was 2 notches above 1.000. However, I am not sure if that is 1.040 or 1.004.

The hydrometer reading looks like:

-
-
-
-
-

I am making a nutbrown ale. I didnt take a reading before but the instructions say the estimate range is between 1.055 and 1.060. I brewed 9 days ago.

It fermented pretty actively for about 2 - 3 days, but there have not been many bubbles the past couple of days.

i took the reading at 70 degrees.

So, it looks like my reading is 1.004, or maybe 1.005 (with correction of temperature). Does that sound correct?

I dont think it will help, but you can see a picture here:

http://flickr.com/photos/mikechambers/2669524451/in/set-72157606001004577/

(you cant really read the hydrometer)

Thanks for any help...

mike

You're right- I can't read it in that picture!

Does this help you read yours? (I found this in Beerthoven's gallery)

how-to-read-a-hydrometer.gif

Eh- that's not a great picture but could you better describe where yours is? Is it close to 1.000? Or is it about half way down in the sample? Also, is the hydrometer floating freely in the sample jar? It shouldn't be touching the sides at all- give it a little spin so it's freely floating with no air bubbles.

Thanks. Using the reading like that, it seemed to be 1.004. Does that sound right?

mike

Try the macro setting if you want to take a pic of the reading. For point and shoot cameras the macro setting usually has a picture of a flower or butterfly.

This one shows roughly 1.064.
hydrometer-sample.jpg

1.004 seems like it would be a very full attenuation since it's so close to 1.000. Nottingham dry yeast is a pretty attenuative yeast, and it should bring a 1.060 down to 1.014 (according to beersmith).

My guess is that your FG is higher than 1.004, it's probably 1.014.

Thanks. My reading was at the top of your picture. Between the 1.000 and 10.

Ill take another picture in a couple of days, and use the macro setting.

mike

Back