Need Help to formulate a Double Chocolate Cranberry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pangaea

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. I've been brewing for a few years now and have pretty much found/followed recipes in books/internet. Last year I had the most amazing Cranberry Chocolate Stout made at a local brewery. The label lists everything in it but I have no clue how to put together a grain bill / recipe.
Here's the details:

Pale Barley Malt (?...is this 2 row?)
Chocolate Malt
Munich Malt
Crystal Malt
Carafa
Oat and Barley Flakes
Magnum Hops
Cocoa Powder
Cocoa Nibs
70% Dark Chocolate
Magnum Hops
Fresh Cranberries
Cranberry Juice
Hoping to put this together to have for Christmas!!
Thanks in Advance

Hi Everyone. I've been brewing for a few years now and have pretty much found/followed recipes in books/internet. Last year I had the most amazing Cranberry Chocolate Stout made at a local brewery. The label lists everything in it but I have no clue how to put together a grain bill / recipe.
Here's the details:

Pale Barley Malt (?...is this 2 row?)
Chocolate Malt
Munich Malt
Crystal Malt
Carafa
Oat and Barley Flakes
Magnum Hops
Cocoa Powder
Cocoa Nibs
70% Dark Chocolate
Magnum Hops
Fresh Cranberries
Cranberry Juice
Hoping to put this together to have for Christmas!!
Thanks in Advance

A little more info would help in this process for sure...for instance what's the OG and FG? Or as simple as the ABV.

It also might be beneficial to ask the brewery for any help they can give like percentages of grain and how much they used of the adjuncts.

A stout with no roasted barley? That's just wrong :D

Yes, "pale barley malt" is generally taken to mean two row (recipes usually specify 6-row) and note that's not the same as "pale ale malt" which is usually a degree L darker.

Here's a 5g outline of my triple chocolate imperial stout. Might take something from it, maybe not.

Pale two row.............70%
Chocolate Malt........6.5%
Black Patent..............6.5%
Flaked Oats...............6.5%
Flaked Barley............2.5%
Roasted Barley.........4.5%
C40...............................3.5%

Mash at 148°F and you won't regret it :)

Chinook, 2oz, 60 min (could use Magnum here)
Cascade, 2oz, 15 min
Low-fat Cocoa powder, 5 min (turn heat down while stirring this in)

Yeast: I like Fermentis S04 for this. It'll take two packs for the 5g batch. Run it at 65°F for the first three days then ramp up to 70°F over the next two weeks.
Rack onto a half pound of cocoa nibs that have been soaking in dark rum for a week - dump the works in a fresh vessel and rack as quietly as possible on top.

No candy bars used - they're a pita to work with outside of the boil where low-fat powder is more easily used anyway.

fwiw, this is a 1.100 OG beer as I brew it.

Leaving the question: how to introduce the cranberries and juice. Likely the same time as the nibs...

Cheers!

[edit] Stepped out to burn one and realized I left out an important ingredient: when preparing the cocoa nibs, add a pair of scraped, smushed, and chopped up whole vanilla beans. Vanilla greatly enhances the perceived intensity of chocolate and is a must have here! :)

Last edited:
A little more info would help in this process for sure...for instance what's the OG and FG? Or as simple as the ABV.

It also might be beneficial to ask the brewery for any help they can give like percentages of grain and how much they used of the adjuncts.

Hi Everyone and thanks for your replies. Like i said the ingredients are off of the label. There's no way for me to know OG and FG. Just know it's 8% ABV. The above recipe looks great! I"ll keep looking around to find out about when to add the juice. Thanks !!!

Back