Need help timing Summit hops in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
I'm brewing up an IPA in the next few weeks. I'm a big fan of the tangerine flavor in Widmer's Drifter IPA, so I'd like to play with the summit hops. I'm also aware of the onion/garlic phenomena and studied almost every thread on the topic.

Is there any specific times to avoid adding Summits? Here's my anticipated recipe (I only get 65% efficiency on my system so the grain bill looks pretty big):

Grain Bill (~1.066 OG)
12 lbs 2-Row
1.5 lbs Vienna
1 lbs Light Munich
1 lbs Carapils
3 oz Crystal 60

Hop Schedule (~ 60 IBUs)
FWH
1 oz Centennial 10.6%
20 min
0.33 oz each of Centennial (10.6%), Columbus (14.7%), and Summit (16.3%)
10 min
0 min
Dry hop
1 oz Columbus

Too much late summit? Is it a better bittering hop? Better to dry hop?
Any input, even outside the summit advice, would be much appreciated! :mug:

Some people find that using Summit as a bittering hop can lend itself to the oniony flavors. I've had really good luck using Summit late (10 minutes or later) and dry. It can have a wonderful tangerine flavor/aroma; though some report the onion no matter when it's used.

i suppose if i try to concatenate all the comments in reflection, you are right that many posters just didn't like the hops at all. i was really trying to maximize the tangerine flavor/smell with this schedule. i'll guess i'll just give the hops a good whiff and see how they appeal to my senses, and go from there.

Back