Need help repitching WLP300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy92

Reaction score
Ok so brewed a hefe using WLP300. Want to save some yeast for a few batches. I need help working out how much of the slurry at the bottom I would need to dump into subsequent batches to replicate a similar pitch rate as the original liquid yeast?

Can someone help work out a decent estimate such as, 1/4 of the cake is appropriate for another 5gallon batch? I'm concerned as I don't want to over pitch.

Have never saved yeast nor washed nor really understood yeast counts and pitching rates exactly. But would love to learn!

Thanks in advance!

When you pitch yeast into well aerated wort the yeast multiply (you knew that) so you don't need all the slurry to get the same amount of yeast cells for the next batch. Unless you are really concerned about getting the exact number of yeast cells for the next batch, plan on using about 1/4 of the slurry for each subsequent batch. You'll be reasonably close and pitch rates don't need to be exact anyway.

Quick answer is: about 90-100cc thick yeast slurry. Long answer: thick slurry is like pancake batter and though it seems odd, using half or double that will likely give you more esters but I wouldn't go beyond the 50-200cc range to pitch. Keep things clean and sanitary, oxygenate your wort and use the yeast while it's fresh. Treat yeast like you would a head of lettuce, if you're not going to use it right away put it in the fridge and use it within the week. Don't worry about washing yeast, in that way it's not like lettuce. I hope that helps!

Cheers guys! Nice and simple responses. Will give this a go next week

Back