Need help reading this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idtapit

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412016980.572081.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412016990.725824.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412017003.312394.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412017031.155089.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1412017045.256257.jpg

So I am new to home brewing, and trying to make sure all my readings are correct can someone please read this for me and tell me what the hell it says lol. The final alcohol content should be like 4.5%. I took this after I added the sugar and starting bottling. Not sure when your suppose to take these readings. Hopefully I did this correct. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's just telling you that your gravity at the moment is ~1.013. You'll have to use your original gravity reading to calculate your abv. The sugar addition would raise it slightly, but only 5oz, assuming it was 5 gallons, shouldn't raise it a noticeable amount.

The calculation you get should be close enough. It does need to be adjusted for temp if the beer isn't 60F, but I never really had any issues when I started. I did not start accounting for that until later on in my brewing career.

Here is a calculator
http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

I don't believe that the "potential alcohol" scale on a hydrometer is usable for homebrewing beer purposes, could be wrong though.

I read 1.016-1.017 depending on if your probe should be read from top or bottom of meniscus.

You would ideally take the reading before adding priming sugar. That probably pushes you up 1-2 points so your actual FG would be closer to 1.014-1.015.

You have to read it at eye level, where the meniscus crosses. It looks like 1.015 from above, but I can't see a photo at eye level. Each line is 2 points- like a thermometer where each line is two degrees, and I can clearly see two lines below the 1.010 so it means it's under 1.014, at least from that angle.

To figure the ABV, the formula is to subtract the FG (final gravity) from the OG (original gravity) and multiply by 131. It's a rough estimate, but it's pretty close.

Back