Need help quick: Is my beer infected? Pic of infection included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
Well, I just got ready to transfer this to secondary for clarifying and when I popped the lid this is what I saw. The stuff in question is not the green floating stuff, that is orange bitter. It's the foam looking stuff. I would love some more experienced people to chime in.

EDIT: This has been in the primary fermenter for 9 days now.

IMG_7013.jpg

Krausen / yeast clumps. Totally normal. And you probably don't need to secondary.

That one big bubble with the veins on it makes
It look like a pellicle's forming. If it is I'm surprised how fast it formed. Could be nothing though, hard to see too well on my phone.

Update: In the time it took me to panic, snap a picture then post it here, most of the bubbles subsided. The only reason I got nervous was the gnarly looking big bubble with the vein looking thing. All is well I hope. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in. I appreciate it.:mug:

I'm pretty new to this too. I have my fourth batch in my secondary. I have freaked a few times already myself. So far everything has turned out fine. I've realized that its pretty tough to mess up as long as you sanitize. If you are worried, taste it. If it tastes fine, all is good. Relax and have a homebrew.

Update: In the time it took me to panic, snap a picture then post it here, most of the bubbles subsided. The only reason I got nervous was the gnarly looking big bubble with the vein looking thing. All is well I hope. Thanks again to everyone that chimed in. I appreciate it.:mug:

Yes, those two bubbles with veins do look like the start of a pellicle, but the rest looks fine.

Yes, those two bubbles with veins do look like the start of a pellicle, but the rest looks fine.

What does that mean? Could the batch be infected?

I remembered looking at the "Name that Infection" thread and the bubble looked like something I had seen in there.

My expert opinion is that his beer is infected! Send it to me for proper disposal, ASAP.

All kidding aside, things look as though they're progressing as they should. I think you're safe.

I think those "veins" on the bigger bubbles are not pellicules forming, I think it's just a couple bubbles that pressed against each other, and one maybe popped to make the larger bubble and it's just "bubble skin." If you ever just blow a bunch of soap bubbles onto a flat surface, you see similar things happenings.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Back