Need help picking a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The kit entails:

Homebrewing 101: Getting Started DVD
Six gallon carboy (your choice of glass or plastic)
Five gallon carboy (your choice of glass or plastic)
Six gallon bottling bucket with spigot
Funnel
Blowoff hose
2x fermentation locks and bungs
Siphon tubing
AutoSiphon
Bottle filler
Bottle brush
Carboy brush (with glass carboys only)
Carboy dryer
Red Baron Bottle capper
60 bottle caps
Beer thief
Thermometer
2 x Fermometer adhesive thermometers
Hydrometer
Test jar
4 oz Star San Sanitizer
2 oz PBW Cleaner
Complete instructions

That's a hell of a starter kit - if you can afford it why not. Just food for thought though, when I first started brewing I pieced what I needed together:

1 bucket - 12.00
1 bottle bucket - 12.00
1 bottle bucket spigot - 2.00
2 lids - 6.00
1 airlock - 0.50
4 gallon pot - 16.00
bottle capper - 18.00
bottle caps - 3.00
sanitizer - 5.00
siphon - 5.00
hydrometer - 5.00
thermometer - 5.00

On that alone I made at least 30 gallons or more before extending into additional equipment like a mash tun, new pot, lagering fridge, additional buckets and carboys, tools, etc... That kit is very nice and does cover your bases but you could get into the hobby for way cheaper if you wanted to, take your savings and buy an additional bucket and a couple of beers to brew. As far as the instructional DVD, PFFFT! who needs it when you have Homebrewtalk :mug: There is an awesome wiki here and the community is very knowledgeable and reassuring.

Just remember to sanitize EVERYTHING, then sanitize it again.

Welcome!

That seems to be a very complete starter kit. There are only a few things missing.

1xThermometer (12" or more is handy)
1xHydrometer
1x6 gal Glass Carboy

That's right, now you are saying what is this fool talking about the kit contains those. That's what you think...that's what you think. When you are speaking of glass components for brewing as long as you only have one, you will break it, but as soon as you get two, they magically never break. So you need to buy a second set to ensure the integrity of the first.

Thanks for the info. I really want to get all of my bases covered early on because my local shop is outrageously priced and quite a drive away, so I wanted to make sure I wouldn't have to make multiple orders :)

You can also get a basic starter kit from Midwest for $65 that has options for adding other accesories. I don't care for glass carboys at my age. Too damn heavy when full & easilly breakable. That can be dangerous. The ale pales work just fine,are cheaper,& allow more $$ to be spent on other necessities. Besides the ale pales making it easier to get hop sacks,etc in & out,unlike the narrow necks on carboys/better bottles.

I don't care for glass carboys at my age. Too damn heavy when full & easilly breakable. That can be dangerous.

I absolutely agree - I own one carboy and usually it sits with Apfelwein in it so I only mess with it once or twice a year. They weigh a lot and can definitely be dangerous. You remember that topic around here a couple weeks ago, somebody's brother was brewing back in the 70's or 80's, dropped a full carboy and the damn thing exploded and killed him.

I carry mine around in a milk crate with straps but I still hate lugging it around, I'm 29 and it makes my back hurt lol. +1 for the groupon coupon, that's a SOLID deal right there!

I thought that was the one where he dropped it,slipped in the mess,& got impaled on a large glass shard last year in a thread? Or the guys that needed stitches in their hands when getting cut on the pieces? I prefer to avoid such entanglements. Not to mention,having a larger openning to use.

I just bought the Midwest kit. They give you a $25 gift card and I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas?

Sure! Send it to me. They have some great kits I'd like to try.:D

Of course, you could use it for a kit for yourself or put it toward more equipment. You are likely to want another fermenter soon and a second hydrometer is nice since most of us break at least one.:mug:

I'l second that,I deliberately bought 2 hydrometers. I did indeed break the 1st one after the first 6 months or so. A jet bottle washer & sink adapter is another time saving choice. I also like the spray washer wand from Midwest I got for Christmas. It makes getting the gunk off the inside of the fermenter way easier. Also cuts the time needed to soak it clean.
Also,a vinator & 45 bottle tree it fits on top off is a real time saver on bottling day. The bottle tree also has a smaller footprint than the amount of counter space 45-50 bottles usually takes. I think these are the 1st things to concider.

I have yet to break a hydrometer - how long will my undefeated run last? Only time will tell............ :)

Back