Need help on Smoked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Will do this or the Black IPA next week. Could use some comments. Again this is a 1.75 gal BIAB.

3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.3 %

5.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 8.0 %
4.5 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.0 %
2.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 6 -
8.0 oz Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.8 %
0.90 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 37.8 IBUs
SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [25.00 ml] Yeast 8 -
0.10 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs1.0 pkg

Scale down ohio brewtus' edmund fitzgerald clone and sub all the base malt for bamburg smoked malt. It's a smoky paradise in your mouth.

Scale down ohio brewtus' edmund fitzgerald clone and sub all the base malt for bamburg smoked malt. It's a smoky paradise in your mouth.

Mahalo Hugh, Looked at a few EF clones didn't see any smoke at all. I already bought my smoke barley 1/2 lb.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/edmund-fitzgerald-clone-ag-46844/

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: HopHed Robust Porter
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Robust Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 30.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
21.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.00 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.00 %
2.50 oz Centennial [8.80 %] (60 min) Hops 33.5 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [3.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

I'm saying replace all 2-row with Weyermann smoke malt and add some 6 row for additional conversion. I've done it. it's fantastic. Just scale it down to your batch size and efficiency

Hugh, thanks for the link and recipe for the edmund fitzgerald clone. But since I'm talking about a Smoke Porter why are you posting that recipe?

I just might try that edmund fitzgerald clone one day.

Hugh, thanks for the link and recipe for the edmund fitzgerald clone. But since I'm talking about a Smoke Porter why are you posting that recipe?

I just might try that edmund fitzgerald clone one day.

What I'm suggesting is to convert the regular EF recipe into a smoked EF recipe by replacing the base malt w/smoked malt (Weyermann). You'd be getting the majority of the gravity points from smoke malt. Of course, you'll scale down the recipe to fit your BIAB volume.

In the recipe I posted above, replace the 21.5 # of 2-row with 21.5 # of smoke malt. I have personally done this. It really gives a nice smoke/bacon like flavor to the porter.

Unlike some smoke beers, a porter needs a lot of smoke malt because of all the other strong flavors in the recipe.

What I'm suggesting is to convert the regular EF recipe into a smoked EF recipe by replacing the base malt w/smoked malt (Weyermann). You'd be getting the majority of the gravity points from smoke malt. Of course, you'll scale down the recipe to fit your BIAB volume.

In the recipe I posted above, replace the 21.5 # of 2-row with 21.5 # of smoke malt. I have personally done this. It really gives a nice smoke/bacon like flavor to the porter.

Unlike some smoke beers, a porter needs a lot of smoke malt because of all the other strong flavors in the recipe.

Thanks, gotcha. Will remember this for the next brew as I had to order online the smoked malt and will be brewing Monday.

Back