Need help on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew a kolsch for my 2nd batch.

I've got a temp control for my fridge, what temp should I ferment at?

Also, can you help me figure out what extract to use, and how much/what kind of hops and the boil schedule. I am new at this and don't want to use a kit on this go around.

I've already got the yeast I want.

I'd ferment at about 62 degrees until you are about 3/4 to final gravity, then let it free-rise up to 70 degrees for a few days. Then you can start lagering it.

I use the following recipe:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 23.18 %
6.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 69.53 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 5.78 %
0.13 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1.51 %
0.25 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [3.00 %] (60 min)Hops 11.5 IBU
0.65 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
6.00 gal Cologne - left bank Water
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 6.63 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 8.94 qt of water at 159.1 F 149.0 F

If you can't partial mash, use 8 lbs Pilsner/Extra Light LME for instead of the Pilsner Malt and DME, and substitute 0.25 lbs Munich extract for the Vienna Malt. I use the Magnum for convenience, you call also use an equivalent bittering charge using only Hallertau, Tradition, or pretty much any other German noble hop. There are no flavor or aroma additions as this would detract from the essence of the style.

Your ferment temperature will depend on your choice of yeast ... see Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Yeast Strain Guide, if you happen to be using Wyeast. If you've picked the Wyeast Koelsch strain, 55 - 60F is recommended.

A Koelsch is pretty light in color, so pick as light an extract as you can find, and target a starting gravity of 1.045 or so - maybe around 6 lbs of LME.

Hops should be noble German hops - Tettnanger or Hallertauer. A simple hop schedule is good - an ounce at 60 min and half an ounce at 30 min., for example.

And no, you don't need no stinkin' kit!

Brew on,

Dos Locos

If you have 2565, I like running that down near the bottom end of it's temp range: 56

I have a vial of 029 for my next batch and I'm going to run that at the bottom end recommended of 65.

Back