Need help on my first beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
Hello all.

I'm trying to figure out a good recipe for my first beer. I have two 6.5 gallon bucket fermenters, one with a drum tap.

Here's some beers that I like:

Killian's Irish Red Lager
Dos Equis Amber Lager
Fischer's (a french golden ale that comes in a grolsch bottle)- without a doubt my favorite lol
Legend Brown Ale
Southern Tier Old man Winter Ale
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale
Sierra Nevada glissade golden bock
*(the sierra nevada beers were about at the bitter end for me)
Tap Room 21 Amber Ale
Bell's Amber Ale
Duck Rabbit Amber Ale
Lost Dog Red Ale

I like the bitterness of Killian's (it's not very bitter).

But I want to do an amber or red ale (brown ale is also acceptable, but amber and red are cooler!).

Any Suggestions? I looked through the recipe forum and thought that many of them were complicated or too bitter for me. I am looking for something simple to start with.

Northern brewer has an irish red kit/ recipe you could check out. I brewed a mix of that and an irish red draught and it turned out great.Im a fan of the reds too but the red ryes even more.

Well, If you have access try founders redrye,bear republics hotrod rye ale,two brothers cane and ebel,or a bridgeport double redrye. Im just a really big fan of rye beers and belive me ive tried a ****load of beer but it is opinion probalby along with a refined palet, it seems like you like the milds.so not shure if you like some hoppy rye ipa's.
And yes those irish reds are not too bitter at all and you have complete control of how bitter you want them. I dont think ive had a rye beer ive not liked yet.
Rye beers have a slick like spicyness to them and most ive tried have a nice maltyness along with that which makes for a very well rounded flavored beer.It adds a nice layer or texture to a beer.

Back