Need Help on First IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwilson6289

Reaction score
The company I work for is pretty awesome and got me equipment to brew beer to give away to clients. This is my first attempt at figuring out my own recipe, and wanted to make sure everything checked out since I'd hate to waste their money on ingredients! Looking to do an extract IPA with Falconer's Flight and Citra hops. I'm hoping that if I'm doing anything wrong, someone can point it out so I avoid disaster. Thanks so much!

5 Gallon Batch
OG - 1.072
Final Gravity - 1.020 to 1.017
IBU - 69.3

Malts:
6.3 lbs Northern Brewer Super Structure IPA Blend LME (3.15 lbs for full 60 minute boil, rest added at 40 minutes
3 lbs Briess DME Golden Light (2 lbs for full 60 minute boil, rest added at 40 minutes)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Hops
.5 oz Warrior for 60 minutes
.5 oz Falconer's Flight @30 minutes
.5 oz Citra final 10 minutes
.5 oz Citra final 5 minutes
.5 oz Falconer's Flight final 5 minutes
.5 oz each Citra and Falconer's Flight Dry Hop

Change the 5 min additions to 0min additions.

When you add your extract is up to you, but I'm not sure why your bothering to add extract at 40 min. You can add it all at flameout if you want and the beer will be much lighter colored, and a little more bitter.

Definitely! I add my remaining extracts at flame out. since the wort is still boiling hot,& pasteurization happens in seconds about 160F,it works great for getting lighter colors & cleaner flavors.
I'd also change the hop schedule to this;
.4 oz warrior @ 60 (.4oz was plenty of warrior for mine)
1.2oz falconer's flight @ 20 minutes
1.2oz citra @ 12-15 minutes
Dry hop for aroma with remaining .8oz of the falconer's flight & citra...now THAT'S more like an IPA!! You'll get more flavor & aroma this way in my experience.

So many little things can be done differently and no particular way is correct. With that in mind, here's how I would brew this one using your list of ingredients (more of a DIPA than a IPA):

Malts:
6.3 lbs Northern Brewer Super Structure IPA Blend LME (3 lbs for full 60 minute boil, rest added at 5 minutes)
2 lbs Briess DME Golden Light (all added at 5 minutes)
1 lb table sugar to help dry the beer out and make the hops shine a bit more (added at 2 minutes)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II (make a starter)

Hops
1 oz Warrior for 60 minutes
.5 oz Falconer's Flight @10 minutes
.5 oz Citra final 10 minutes
.5 oz Citra final 2 minutes
.5 oz Falconer's Flight final 2 minutes
Chill to ~175F, stop chilling, let steep for 15-20 minutes, finish chilling

1 oz Citra Dry Hop
1 oz Falconer's Flight Dry Hop

Great, thanks! I've never added malt other than for the full boil, so I wasn't sure of the time. The goal is to make the beer a little lighter. I checked the color on lovibond scale and it looked like it would be a bit too dark. So I take it if I add hops at 30 minutes, it'll be giving off more bitterness than flavor? So I should change that to 20 minutes instead?

jwilson6289 said:
Great, thanks! I've never added malt other than for the full boil, so I wasn't sure of the time. The goal is to make the beer a little lighter. I checked the color on lovibond scale and it looked like it would be a bit too dark. So I take it if I add hops at 30 minutes, it'll be giving off more bitterness than flavor? So I should change that to 20 minutes instead?

I believe that was exactly what he was thinking, though you should start with your guy instinct, seasoned with a little research, and above all do a ****load of experiments when your starting out. Beers one of those mysterious processes where its kind of difficult to know exactly how something will taste before you do it and try it. Cultivate your intuition!

Also, there have been some studies showing that you more efficiently utilize the hop bittering acids, the less sugar - concentrated your wort is, so adding at least half the extract at flameout will definately give you more bang for your buck on the hops.

Back