Need Help Making Spruce Porter All Grain from Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgineer

Reaction score
Ok so I made this beer a few years ago before I started brewing all grain. It turned out great as an extract recipe. Well I tried to make it last year as all grain and that was before I knew some key details of the all grain process. In short I didn't use any pale malt so I had no grain with enzymes that would turn my starch to sugar. I'd like to give this another shot as an all grain brew but would like some expert advice on how to move this beer to the world of grain.

Here is the recipe for a 5 gal extract batch. I'd like to make this into a 10 gal all grain batch.

8lb Amber malt Extract
.5lb 120L Crystal Malt
.5lb Chocolate Malt
16oz honey
(steep crystal and chocolate malt for 60 min @ 155F)

.25oz Chinook (13%AA) 55min
14 1" Fresh Spruce Tips 55 min
.5oz Cascade (8.7%AA) 30 min
3 Cinimon Sticks 30 min
1 oz Saaz (3.2%AA) 10min

Starting Gravity 1.053@68F
Target IBU = 30+spruce

Dry Hop with chinook 1oz

Replace the extract with about 20 lbs of English pale malt (don't have my brewing software handy). Maybe .5 lb of Crystal 60 to get some of that Amber coloring and a hint of caramalty backbone that you can get from Amber LME and go for it. The rest of the recipe should be fine as is. Spruce beers are amazing when done well. Cheers.

So we end up with a grain bill like this:

20lbs English Pale Malt
1lb 120L Crystal Malt
1lb Chocolate Malt
.5lb Crystal 60
2lb honey

That sounds tasty to me. Any other thoughts?

Back