Need help making a stainless steel auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beernutz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
71XzDD4a5VS._SL1500_.jpg

I have purchased two half-inch sized auto siphons like the one above within the last three years and both suffered the same fate. Cracks developed on the curved part of the cane at the point where it comes in contact with the outer container when you pump the cane to start the siphon. The second auto siphon is still usable but I worry that I'm possibly aerating beer as I use it.

My idea is to replace the inner cane with a stainless steel version. Morebeer sells a 1/2" racking cane for $15 so I ordered one. Now I just need to replicate or reuse the small black seal attached to the bottom of the plastic cane on the bottom of the SS cane. You can see the piece I'm referring to in the middle of the picture below to the right of the SS cane.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

20161213_173755_HDR_zpsy9x6phn5.jpg

Some readers may be aware that there's both a kickstarter / indiegogo campaign for a stainless auto siphon. You can get one for an $80 indiegogo pledge https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-pro-brewers-siphon-a-home-brewing-essential-diy#/ and I may go that route if I can't get this to work.

Id suggest going the Pro Brewers Siphon route. Looks like a good design and should be available soon. They went through the trial and errors figuring it out. Ill probably get one. I love the concept of all SS and Si and am surprised no one has done this already.

That is the one I wrote about in my first post that was funded via Kickstarter/Indiegogo, so yes exactly like that one. You can't buy it through their website yet though.

No but it looks like you can buy it through indiegogo right now.

Some readers may be aware that there's both a kickstarter / indiegogo campaign for a stainless auto siphon. You can get one for an $80 indiegogo pledge https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-pro-brewers-siphon-a-home-brewing-essential-diy#/ and I may go that route if I can't get this to work.

↑

No but it looks like you can buy it through indiegogo right now.

I would probably buy one, after the indie campaign is up I don't like crowd funded campaigns some cannot return product for investment in a reasonable time.

You could always use carboy caps and SS canes to do a vacuum transfer, but best of luck. Getting a good seal may require some food grade silicone.

Sorry for edit to fix typo

I don't use carboys so that's a no-go.

I have not had great luck with crowdfunded products having just waited more than 2 years for my Ukeg to arrive. You are not guaranteed that you'll ever receive a product as you are not a buyer you're an investor. Plus as you noted you cannot return it if you aren't happy with it.

I wouldn't even call it investing, I've just heard too many horror stories about crowd funding to ever jump onboard.

Are you going to keep the plastic pump housing?

I wouldn't even call it investing, I've just heard too many horror stories about crowd funding to ever jump onboard.

Are you going to keep the plastic pump housing?

I am definitely a crowd funding skeptic now but I haven't ruled them out entirely for future investments / donations. The Growlerwerks Ukeg was my first and so far only Kickstarter and though it took 2 years I did get my reward, however only about half of the over 10,000 contributors have received theirs to date. It is a great product though.

Yes I'm keeping the housing.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Will the plastic plunger pipe fit inside the SS racking cane? If so, maybe you could cut the bottom 2" with the plunger rubber still attached and insert it into the bottom of the SS racking cane and hold in place with food grade silicone adhesive/sealant? Cleaning/sanitizing might be a little tough unless you could figure out how to make it removable. Ed
:mug:

20161213_173755_HDR_zpsy9x6phn5.jpg

I posted on their F B page, as to what the status is.
I read it as they were 120% funded, and their "projected" date is December 2016.

Maybe they will answer up next week.

Will the plastic plunger pipe fit inside the SS racking cane? If so, maybe you could cut the bottom 2" with the plunger rubber still attached and insert it into the bottom of the SS racking cane and hold in place with food grade silicone adhesive/sealant? Cleaning/sanitizing might be a little tough unless you could figure out how to make it removable. Ed

It isn't apparent in the picture but those two pieces are the same diameter, 1/2".

I posted on their F B page, as to what the status is.
I read it as they were 120% funded, and their "projected" date is December 2016.

Maybe they will answer up next week.

They were supposed to have started delivering rewards the middle of December but they haven't left an Indiegogo update in a couple of months. They also have to honor rewards from their Kickstarter campaign which preceeded the Indiegogo one so presumeably their KS donors will get their rewards first.

If I decide to buy one of theirs I'll just wait until they're offered at retail.

It isn't apparent in the picture but those two pieces are the same diameter, 1/2".
Sorry about that...in the photo, it looked like the plastic was just small enough to go into the SS cane. I also looked at the Pro-Brewer's SS siphon and it looked cool, but I agree with you regarding the speculative nature of crowd funded items. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. BTW, Merry Christmas! Ed

Sorry about that...in the photo, it looked like the plastic was just small enough to go into the SS cane. I also looked at the Pro-Brewer's SS siphon and it looked cool, but I agree with you regarding the speculative nature of crowd funded items. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. BTW, Merry Christmas! Ed

No worries, thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate them, and Merry Christmas to you too!

They were supposed to have started delivering rewards the middle of December but they haven't left an Indiegogo update in a couple of months. They also have to honor rewards from their Kickstarter campaign which preceeded the Indiegogo one so presumeably their KS donors will get their rewards first.

If I decide to buy one of theirs I'll just wait until they're offered at retail.

As of their latest Kickstarter update on Nov 4th, they expected to receive the first shipment from China in mid to late Dec with delivery to kickstarter backers in January. There's been no update since then. As you mention, I assume indiegogo shipments will be sometime after that.

Thanks for the info!
Maybe, said shipment from China, will have enough for retail customers, should they believe and "speculate" enough, that they'll sell! ;)

Why are you so set on using an auto siphon? I've been using my original, stainless racking cane for 8 years. It will last a lifetime. Start the siphon with a hard suck or a Starsan filled tube.

BTW, the kind of cracks you see may be just crazing. Acrylic tends to do that. They're very, very fine, thinner than hairline "cracks." I doubt any microorganism can get in there and harbor, or if they do, can get flushed out with passing beer or wort.

Why are you so set on using an auto siphon? I've been using my original, stainless racking cane for 8 years. It will last a lifetime. Start the siphon with a hard suck or a Starsan filled tube.

BTW, the kind of cracks you see may be just crazing. Acrylic tends to do that. They're very, very fine, thinner than hairline "cracks." I doubt any microorganism can get in there and harbor, or if they do, can get flushed out with passing beer or wort.

Just personal preference. I used a regular racking cane for about 15 years and started the suction many different ways, none of which I was completely happy with though I don't think I ever infected a beer via siphoning.

About 10 years ago I got my first auto-siphon and after a few uses I decided I was never going back to just a racking cane. I'm on my third auto-siphon in 10 years so they do last a while between replacements but I think if I could add a plunger bottom to the SS cane I'd have a permanent auto-siphon for $15.

The cracks could be crazing (never heard that term before) but do I see some air bubbles at that location even with a zip tie tightly around the hose/cane connection. I'm not the only one to report this issue on HBT either.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

The cracks could be crazing (never heard that term before) but do I see some air bubbles at that location even with a zip tie tightly around the hose/cane connection. I'm not the only one to report this issue on HBT either.

Can the "air" bubble be CO2 coming out of solution?

I am totally against any kind of crowd funding, as I think it's a modern Ponzi scheme. That said, I have been using a Morebeer 1/2" racking cane for about 4 years now. It's about as simple as it gets, you just need to put a 1/2" PVC(or SS or Brass) Valve with plactic(or SS or Brass) barbs threaded in each end. The best thing to do is attach the hose, and cut it about 1/2 below the bottom of the racking cane, then put both barbs in, and secure with hose clamps.

To operate;
1-Sanitize your racking cane
2- Fill your cane up with sanitizer, make sure both side are full
3-Close the valve
4-Place the cane in your fermenter(carboy or bucket)
5-Place a pitcher under the end of the hose
6-Open the valve until you see beer, shut the valve off
7-Move the hose inside of the receiving vessel, open the valve
8-BEER!

The stainless auto siphon guy posted an update today.

Hello everyone. Anthony here.

There have been a few major setbacks since my last update that I will describe in detail below. The first is Shop related. The following two are manufacturer related.

But before I do that,*I want to offer all of you my sincerest apologies.

I am fully aware that I have flat out not been able to fulfill on any of my estimated delivery timelines. I understand the concern and frustration this has caused.*I am deeply sorry for this.*I know that many of you were excited to share our Pro Brewers Siphon as a gift to yourself, friend or beloved one for the holidays and have not been able to do that. That sucks. I get it and I’m sorry

Because kickstarters are bull****, if you have an idea grow your business organically, the idea to throw a ton of money at something is the definition of boom and bust. Internet bubble, tulip bubble, erc.

I am totally against any kind of crowd funding, as I think it's a modern Ponzi scheme.

There are plenty of reasons for people to be skeptical of crowd funding, but Ponzi scheme's deal with investing and do not apply to crowd funded products in any way.

Or so you would like us to believe. Most for profit crowdfunding schemes include some sort of levels that align with different benefits, (t-shirts, the product, etc.). So you are indeed "investing", as I say if you want to open a business, start small and grow it, anyone that funds anothers business is an idiot.

Or so you would like us to believe. Most for profit crowdfunding schemes include some sort of levels that align with different benefits, (t-shirts, the product, etc.). So you are indeed "investing", as I say if you want to open a business, start small and grow it, anyone that funds anothers business is an idiot.

Guess I'm an idiot that's been extremely lucky as every Kickstarter that I've tried and was fully funded delivered a product I've been happily using. There have been a few that failed to deliver (Brew Nanny, cough, cough), but the majority that are funded do deliver. I'm not sure if you understand how Kickstarter works, but if the project doesn't get funded it's nothing out of your wallet. And how is this investing? I'm not expecting any "return" only the product that was promised. The funding levels are no different than a retail store offering extras or more savings based on the quantity or options you buy.

As to your your quote "So you are indeed "investing", as I say if you want to open a business, start small and grow it, anyone that funds anothers business is an idiot". While I respect that you do not personally support crowd-funding, I'm more than a little offended at being called an idiot and thought I'd offer up a little education on funding a small business.

Basic economics - you need capital to start and grow a business. There are a number of ways to get capital:
1) Get loans - but this usually requires a solid business plan that banks will accept, some kind of collateral and now you have to pay interest on the loan. Most banks will also limit the loan size unless you have a great deal of collateral to begin with.
2) Get investors - you can sell shares, but most private investors like to see a return on their investment. You now have external pressure that can affect business decisions, both good and bad. Venture Capitalists typically expect higher returns in a shorter time which typically growing as fast a possible which involves more capital.
3)Go small and grow it. Well that assumes it's something you can make yourself and ignores economy of scale and how it affects price points. Anytime you're delivering a physical product there is typically manufacturing and/or assembly involved. Most manufacturing companies don't deal in small quantities or if they do, charge much more per unit. This is especially true for any product that is custom manufactured as there's even more overhead for test manufacturing prototypes, creating new dies/molds, retooling lines, quality control testing, any regulatory statutes, etc. If some small business has to order a minimum of 1000 of a new product (due up front of course) and it doesn't sell, they're now out of that money. You can have a great product, but at a crappy price point because you couldn't afford to order in a large quantity to begin with.
4) Try a crowd-funding campaign. If successfully funded you've not only vetted the interest (marketing proven), but you also have enough capital for the initial order to offer a product at an attractive price point.

Pon·zi scheme
ˈpänzē ˌskēm/
noun
a form of fraud in which belief in the success of a nonexistent enterprise is fostered by the payment of quick returns to the first investors from money invested by later investors.

I really don't know what you're arguing. Ponzi schemes guaranty quick returns by using later investor's money to pay earlier investors. Nothing like crowd funding.

I can attest to the fact that those "crazing" cracks get worse and will allow air to pass through. I saw the cracks in my first autosiphon, they got worse over time until one day I could hear and see the air passing through. Bought a new one before the next transfer.

I can attest to the fact that those "crazing" cracks get worse and will allow air to pass through. I saw the cracks in my first autosiphon, they got worse over time until one day I could hear and see the air passing through. Bought a new one before the next transfer.

Thanks, that's good to know!

The first time I encountered crazing in acrylic was on scanner drums in the late 90s. The crazing was definitely detrimental to her optical qualities.

I have been in business for over 20 years, and have rolled out many new products so I understand every but of what you said. I still maintain that anyone who goes farther than the customer-shopkeeper dynamic is getting sucked in to a fools bargain. My very good friend did a kickstarter that was funded and had tge product made, and I told him as I will tell you "make a product, if I like it I will buy it, just don't ask or expect me to be your partner. And I did buy his beer related product. New scams come down the pike all of tge time, this is the newest. I hope the FTC looks a little further into this, as many of these need serious vetting.

Anyone heard anything out of this?

I tried looking for their F B page again, and got nothing, BUT, that could be my fault as well!;)

Edit: Found it, and i"ll report any findings.

Double edit:
Here's the link, if ya' wanna' ask on their page, and / or message them there.

I inquired back in Dec. on their page, with no repsonse.

https://www.facebook.com/Sierramoonshinehomebrew/

Edit Again: Here's the reply I got from him.
He's in it alone now.

"Status on he production is as follows: Pro Brewers Siphon; I am waiting for my first set of samples from the manufacturer with the new seal and expect those in the next week. I will update once I receive them and begin testing. Sturdy Clip; I am still waiting for the first set o samples from the new manufacturer, should be here by three end of the month. Carboy Sleeve; is in full production right now and will be finished in a couple weeks.:"

I don't understand the premise. Auto-siphons can be had for <$20. Why spend $80 on one? I know...you can break even after replacing 4 auto-siphons, but there is no guarantee an auto-siphon will break/crack. I've been brewing for 8 years and am on just my second one.

Besides - there are other options as well. Here is a $20 option that includes a SS cane.

Back