Need Help Identifying Possible Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meteora

Reaction score
Greetings,

Its the 2nd night of my first batch ever and tonight, as I was replacing the blow off tube with the airlock, I noticed these white dots that werent there before. They are high up on the fermenter and I wiped it a little when I was replacing the tube then I stopped, afraid to infect it even more. Can someone please help me identify if this is an infection and if so what I can do to make it go away?

Regards

IMG_8123.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

looks like clumps of yeast trying to make their escape

don't let them

otherwise, looks just fine to me, YOU'VE MADE BEER!

looks like clumps of yeast trying to make their escape

don't let them

otherwise, looks just fine to me, YOU'VE MADE BEER!

just yeast from the krausen getting all the way up there is my guess.

If thats the case I will show those single celled bastardos what it means to try and pull prison break on my brew! Get back there and make me beer!

Hope you guys are right though, I will see to it in the morning and update the post so others can know if sorts is an infection or just yeast armstrongs. If this is an infection I believe it should grow right?

Cheers for the replies :mug:

No doubt it is infected. Looks like saccharomyces cerevisiae. This insidious little bug will chew up all the sugar in your wort. Then it will pee alcohol and fart CO2. Your only real option is to wait for the disgusting foam on top to subside and then trap the contents of the fermenter in bottles or a keg to keep it contained. Then the honorable thing to do is to drink it so as to spare the world from this distructive microbe.

After that .... do it all again. Congratulations. You made beer! Cheers.

Then it will pee alcohol and fart CO2.

Wish we could all do that :D I checked this morning and the little moon colony was still there, unchanged. I am sorry I newb'd out! Now I wait silently |-__-| For I am the brewer the yeast deserves but not the one it needs right now..

Infections generally take much longer than 2 days to show up. Looks fine to me. RDWHAHB. Er... I guess this is your first batch. Have a craft brew instead then, until this batch is ready.

Back