need help identifying hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgglass

Reaction score
I'm thinking nugget but have no experience. What do you think? A friend just gave me a rhizome and just planted it. Hope it comes back next year.

ForumRunner_20110903_191337.jpg

ForumRunner_20110903_191359.jpg

Looks like hops to me. No real way to tell by looking at a picture try drying some and brew something light and see how they smell/taste.

Going to take a while. The picture is all I have(4 cones). The rhizome of this hop was planted today in a high sunshine area with 25 feet up to a porch off my daughters bedroom. Loads more room too. I was hoping to get cascade, centennial, and kent golding rhizomes in the ground now also. Where can you get them now? Do I have to wait till spring?

I put goldings, fuggles, and cascades in the ground this year the only one i got hops from was the cascade about 1 ounce dried.

Rhizomes are sold mostly in the Spring. The sales drag on for some into the Summer, but I doubt you'll find many in September. I don't think I'd buy one now. The only plants still for sale are plants: http://highhops.net/buy.htm

A better gardener than I might chime in here, but I suspect that unless you are planning some winter growth under lights, you might as well wait until Spring.

Those hops are also $10 per plant, and shipping for one to me was going to be $10 as well. The rhizomes commonly run $4-5 each. I'm pretty sure shipping was cheaper. I'd suggest spending your time this fall preparing the ground, and getting set up to string you line next Spring, then pre-order your rhizomes when they'll let you in December or so. I would give some thought to buying jumbo rhizomes or root crowns if you find them available, as they'll improve your chances for a good yield in the first year or two. My plants from regular rhizomes are yielding a few ounces each as second year plants, but are not yielding pounds of cones like some folks report.

I ended up with bonus rhizomes when I ordered from these folks: http://www.freshops.com/

Back