Need help from a Portlander.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MachineShopBrewing

Reaction score
Those of you from Portland. Where would you go from the places on this list?

Hopworks Urban Brewery - 2944 SE Powell Blvd, Portland
Upright Brewing Company - 240 N Broadway St, Suite 002, Portland
Laurelwood Pizza Co. (closed) - 1728 NE 40th Ave, Portland
Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room - 61 SE Yamhill St, Portland
Lucky Labrador Brewing Company - 915 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Portland
Laurelwood Public House & Brewery - 5115 NE Sandy Blvd, Portland
Cascade Brewing / Raccoon Lodge & Brewpub - 7424 SW Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy, Portland
Amnesia Brewing - 832 N Beech St, Portland
Columbia River Brewing Co. - 1728 NE 40th Ave, Portland
New Old Lompoc Brewery - 1616 NW 23rd Ave, Portland
Deschutes Brewery & Public House - 210 NW 11th Ave, Portland
Coalition Brewing Co. - 2724 SE Ankeny St, Portland
Breakside Brewery - 820 NE Dekum St, Portland
Alameda Brewhouse - 4765 NE Fremont St, Portland
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - 929 N Russell St, Portland
BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub - 1313 NW Marshall St, Portland
Migration Brewing Company - 2828 NE Glisan St, Portland
Burnside Brewing Co. - 701 E Burnside St, Portland
Max's Fanno Creek Brew Pub - 12562 SW Main St, Tigard
4th Street Brewing Co. - 77 NE 4th Street, Gresham
The Commons Brewery - 1810 SE 10th Ave., Unit E, Portland
The Mash Tun - 2204 NE Alberta St, Portland
Buckman Village Brewery - 909 SE Yamhill St, Portland
Natian Brewery - 1321 NE Couch St, Portland

Well, I don't live in Portland but I'm there 2-3 times a year. I like Luarelwood public house, migration, and HUB. Migrations Kolsch tastes identical to mine. Luarelwood over the ryebow is great. I also like the green dragon, they have ALOT of beer. 5 of there own and 50 other taps.

All depends on what you are looking for. My favorites out of the bunch:
Cacade Barrel House- generally has 12 sour beers on tap. Something you won't see anywhere else, and they make great beers.
Laurelwood- solid beers of all types and generally a wide variety when you include their seasonals. Great food at their brewpub too. Good IPA and porter, very good red (Free Range Red) with tons of cascade flavor and aroma.
Hopworks- good selection of beers, good PDX vibe and people watching, decent food, sustainable and organic ethos.
The Commons- only a tasting room, only open limited hours, but if you are into saisons they have a great one and variations on it (urban farmhouse ale).
Breakside- generally a very wide variety of sometimes weird beers. They have a small system and turn out small batches of everything under the sun. Good brewer and good food at their brewpub in N. Portland.
Buckman Village- makes some interesting beers, but what you're really checking out is The Green Dragon, their pub, which has something like 50 taps. Owned by Rogue. Also close to Cascade Barrel House.
Natian isn't a pub, it is a production brewery, 4th Street is way out in Gresham and nothing special, Upright makes awesome beers, but is only open limited hours and is kind of hidden away, plus their beers are available in bottle or on tap at other places around town. Widmer, Bridgeport, Deschutes are good, but their beers have wide distribution beyond Portland. The Deschutes brew pub in NW/Pearl has good food and lots of one-off beers on tap, but I'd make it a lower priority than the small local only places.
Cheers!

I'd concur with pdxal on most of his comments. Hopworks has the whole organic/PDX-vibe thing going on, I personally find their stuff *too* hoppy for the most part, but their food is great. They also have a new location in North Portland, on N Williams, called the "Bikebar" that serves their brews as well.

I would somewhat discourage you from The Green Dragon, only inasmuch as they do have 50 taps, but I find that most of them are from places other than Oregon/PDX, so they're great for the in-towner who doesn't travel, but not so much for the out-of-towner looking to get the PDX vibe. I'll also admit that I'm pretty much anti-Rogue beer, so that also plays into my suggestion on avoiding The Green Dragon...

Now, that said, one pub that didn't make your list and should be strongly considered is the Horse Brass Pub, on SE Belmont, as it is the mecca for beer drinkers who like English-style pubs and a wonderful selection of great beers. Best fish & chips in town, and don't miss the Scotch Egg, either.

I also concur with pdxal, but would include Captured By Porches if the weather's even halfway decent. They have decent beers, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more Portland experience than taking your own growler to a food cart pod and getting it filled at a bus-turned-organic nano-brewery! And if it's really nice out, Amnesia has a nice vibe. Fire on the Mountain just started brewing, and their brews aren't a disappointment, but they have the best wings (Spicy Peanut!!!)

Latest posts

Back