Need Help: Flavor Finishes Too Quickly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdonnelly68

Always drinking - never drunk.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I'm about ten batches into homebrewing and I'm having a great time. I enjoy the process and for the most part I enjoy the result.

My first few batches have turned out just fine. The flavors and carbonation are right on. My only complaint is that the flavor finishes too quickly - you taste it and then suddenly it's gone.

Just for the record, I have not ruled out Karma as a cause. Over the years, my most frequent complaint as I've hop-hopped from Brew Pub to Brew Pub is that the majority of the beers I tried had a flavor that started great and then disappeared. Those chickens may be coming home to roost.

So, my question is: Is there something I can change (be it ingredients or process) to make for a more complex, longer lasting taste profile. I'm thinking Sierra Nevada Pale Ale type finish.

As always, I'll pre-thank all of you for your generous support.

Try drinking sips of water in between drinks of beer, otherwise make stronger beers (Sierra Nevada PA has a strong hop bitterness and high carbonation)

Have other people tried your beer with the same result? Are you using beer kits with corn sugar by any chance?

Maybe try a little higher OG and IBU and maybe try to increase the body of the beer with carapils or something.

Are you brewing with extract? I noticed while I was doing extract brews that the lighter bodied beers tended to finish a bit quick and watery, even if they didn't come out with a very low FG.

I am brewing with extract kits. I've just recently traded up to partial mash kits. Is this another reason to move to all grain?

Are you steeping any grains with your extract beers? Or all extract? If it's all extract I think you will see significant improvement with partial mash and even more with all grain. I have had great beers made with extract that other people have made. But with my beers I can always tell the difference between the extract and all grain, it may be a mental thing though too.

Or not using enough extract. Or not enough un-fermentables in the extract malts to give more mouth feel. Either way the flavor isn't robust enough to hang around long. but I don't want to taste it 5 or 10 minutes later,either. It sounds like you'd like more mouth feel.

I disagree - you should be able to brew satisfying beer with extract. At this point moving to all grain before he fixes the issue might just make it harder. I think I moved to all grain too early - it took me a long time to get all of the variables under control.

Back