Need help finding correct male/female coupler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lothar1974

Reaction score
Hello all,

First I will apologize for my lack of knowledge on this subject. I am trying to find a piece that will allow me to connect a flare nut and barb I have on my co2 tank line to a Duotight 8mm / 1/4 BSP fitting. I believe this is the part I need (1/4" Male Flare SAE x 1/4" Female BSP) but cannot find it anywhere in the US.
I tried this (1/4 in. Flare 1/4 in. D FPT Brass Adapter) but it did not fit the threads to the duotight piece (I believe due to the duotight being bsp). I am including pics of what I am trying to connect. Hoping someone is more versed in this than me 😀
Help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240610_183757_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610_183757_Chrome.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240610_183704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240610_183704_Chrome.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 0
It isn't the fact that the threads on that Duotight fitting aren't correct, it's that fitting isn't meant for flare connections. Flare fittings do not seal by the threads, they rely on face-to-face sealing.

This JohnGuest SM0108F4S model will connect to your swivel nut/barb and accept an 8mm (5/16") OD push-in. As you can see it has the proper projection to seal to the inside face of the female side. It's a pricey bugger, however, especially if you only need the one, as it's gonna be burdened with the shipping cost...
1718065172644.png

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...-superseal-x-1-4-flare?variant=13249977286699

Cheers!

It isn't the fact that the threads on that Duotight fitting aren't correct, it's that fitting isn't meant for flare connections. Flare fittings do not seal by the threads, they rely on face-to-face sealing.

This JohnGuest SM0108F4S model will connect to your swivel nut/barb and accept an 8mm (5/16") OD push-in. As you can see it has the proper projection to seal to the inside face of the female side. It's a pricey bugger, however, especially if you only need the one, as it's gonna be burdened with the shipping cost...
View attachment 850521
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...-superseal-x-1-4-flare?variant=13249977286699

Cheers!
Thank you so much, I was limiting myself just looking at morebeer and a few other sites.

In the scheme of things that's a rather exotic fitting so I'm not surprised "the usual suspects" don't carry it ;)

fwiw, freshwatersystems.com has been my go-to for push-to-connect fittings (and quite a bit more) for years because they list nearly everything under the sun. They don't necessarily stock everything they list, but they'll get it when asked :)

Cheers!

Was that the fitting you were looking for?

I read the 1st post a few times and wasn't quite sure what you were attempting to do.

Also, if it's a keg, there are going to be a variety of options depending on what you are actually trying to connect. For example some keg adapters are duotight to start with, if that's what you were trying to adapt a normal barb to become.

I'm also puzzled...Which part are you connecting to which part? Can you post a picture?
My first thought reading this;
I am trying to find a piece that will allow me to connect a flare nut and barb I have on my co2 tank line to a Duotight 8mm / 1/4 BSP fitting.
was that you have an MFL out on your regulator that you want to go to 8mm OD EVABarrier and I'm wondering why you don't just use the duotight/FFL:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/pushffl.htm

Was that the fitting you were looking for?

I read the 1st post a few times and wasn't quite sure what you were attempting to do.

Also, if it's a keg, there are going to be a variety of options depending on what you are actually trying to connect. For example some keg adapters are duotight to start with, if that's what you were trying to adapt
I'm also puzzled...Which part are you connecting to which part? Can you post a picture?
My first thought reading this;

was that you have an MFL out on your regulator that you want to go to 8mm OD EVABarrier and I'm wondering why you don't just use the duotight/FFL:
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/pushffl.htm
Hello, the first post is what I was looking for, thanks for all the help everyone!

I still can't help but wonder exactly what it is you're connecting up.
And if there isn't a simpler way to do it...
In the scheme of things that's a rather exotic fitting so I'm not surprised "the usual suspects" don't carry it
Exotic fittings are exotic for a reason.

Try McMaster carr they have all kinds of fittings. BSP stands for british standard pipe threads

Latest posts

Back